Author Topic: I need help...(solved)  (Read 2287 times)

avaster7

I need help...(solved)
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »
Ok, two nights ago, my Kaspersky anti-virus software just shut itself down, so until I get it fixed (which might take a while) I decided to get Avast!, since my friends recommended it to me. But there's one problem:

I was told that Avast! was free, but when I downloaded the Pro version, it asks me for a license key. And since I didn't have one, I was forced to use the 60 day trial. What's going on?

Also, I see that Avast! Home is free, with free registration keys for life. The question is, do I need Windows XP Home Edition in order to run Avast! Home? I have Windows XP Professional, and I thought I had to get Avast! Pro, and got it, and now it's not free. Will Avast! Home work on a Windows XP Professional?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 12:48:27 AM by avaster7 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: I need help...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:53:20 PM »
The terms Home and Pro for avast have nothing to do with the Windows operating system.

Avast Pro is the "paid for version", Avast Home is the free version.  Both work equally well with Windows XP (whether XP Home or Pro is irrelevant).

avaster7

Re: I need help...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:01 AM »
Sweet thanks, that was all I needed to know.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I need help...(solved)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:34 AM »
You might have an issue if Kaspersky is still installed (even disabled). avast! may detect the presence of virtual device drivers and or legacy registry keys and may disable some of its elements to avoid any possible conflict.

Hopefully you will be OK but you may need to uninstall Kaspersky in the meantime.

Just in case:
Run this utility to remove all traces of Kaspersky from the registry:
[url]http://www.ice-kav.com/downloads/util/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip

ICE is a US distributor for Kaspersky.
Also read more about KAV Removal Tools http://www.ice-kav.com/utilities.php
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:25:10 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I need help...(solved)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:04:49 AM »
I was told that Avast! was free, but when I downloaded the Pro version, it asks me for a license key. And since I didn't have one, I was forced to use the 60 day trial. What's going on?
You always download the trial version. If you don't register it for free, you'll use it until 60 days period expired. It's well known and it's not a marketing trap.

Also, I see that Avast! Home is free, with free registration keys for life.
No. The registration key is valid to 12 months. You have to renew (register again for FREE) to get a new free key.

The question is, do I need Windows XP Home Edition in order to run Avast! Home?
Will Avast! Home work on a Windows XP Professional?
No to the first. Yes to the last one, you can use the Home version in the XP Pro installation.
The best things in life are free.