Author Topic: Avast Providers problem  (Read 8171 times)

Evanhoe

Avast Providers problem
« on: October 20, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »
Hi All,
Just joined.Hope someone can help me!
For the past couple of weeks,whenever I connect to my ISP(Dialup),The Avast ball with A inside,is not normal,and the 3
Providers that normally come on,are greyed out and nothing
happens!When I reboot,it usually works ok.Funny thing it happens a lot,but not every day!Can anybody give me details
on how I could correct this? I'ts annoying,and a time waster.
I have XP pro w/sp2.Thanks.

VAN

Reslayer

Re: Avast Providers problem
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 05:42:32 PM »
I see, you have persisted the changes when stopped those providers.
And someday you turned off request if you want to apply your changes for ever or for this session only. Recommend you to start Avast settings (top pop-up tray menu item) dialog and go to extended view (maybe, not literally such, but I do render, I use it home, while KAV at office not me installed!), where you start each provider you need.
Here, reboot. But always keep it in mind that XP (+any SPs!!) as any Win*** is BUGGY, and this means System Auto Restore/Rollback is a buggy s**t too. So, use Linux or, at least, Win2k. I do use 'em both. And I do not experience the problem you do.
A propos: make sure your system parks OK each time, maybe the problem persists due to registry fault.

Please, write me back and tell me what you see now.

//Addendum:
-Parks == Finishes.
--Tell me if I see you problem clearly.
---This is my first post here, and I'm weak in English, so I apologize if anything wrong have written; report me back if possible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:58:36 PM by Reslayer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »
Just joined. Hope someone can help me!
Welcome  8)

Providers that normally come on, are greyed out and nothing happens!

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

Also, take a look into Administrative Tools > Services
and see how the four avast services are set to start (automatically or manual).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?
The best things in life are free.

Evanhoe

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »
Tech,
Thanks for your prompt reply.I did the repair thing as suggested.Did'nt know this existed!In Admin/Tools/Services,the first 2 are auto,but the other 2 are manual!Should I change them to Auto?I only have Avast antivirus prog for about 3 years.
Had Norton before that.I have the  Zone Alarm Firewall.This morning,Avast started normally!Will see in the next couple of days,whether,we've solved our problem.IF problem persist,
I will uninstall Avast and reinstall it.Thanks so much for your
valuable help.

VAN

Evanhoe

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 01:30:37 PM »
I see, you have persisted the changes when stopped those providers.
And someday you turned off request if you want to apply your changes for ever or for this session only. Recommend you to start Avast settings (top pop-up tray menu item) dialog and go to extended view (maybe, not literally such, but I do render, I use it home, while KAV at office not me installed!), where you start each provider you need.
Here, reboot. But always keep it in mind that XP (+any SPs!!) as any Win*** is BUGGY, and this means System Auto Restore/Rollback is a buggy s**t too. So, use Linux or, at least, Win2k. I do use 'em both. And I do not experience the problem you do.
A propos: make sure your system parks OK each time, maybe the problem persists due to registry fault.

Please, write me back and tell me what you see now.

//Addendum:
-Parks == Finishes.
--Tell me if I see you problem clearly.
---This is my first post here, and I'm weak in English, so I apologize if anything wrong have written; report me back if possible.

Reslayer
Thanks for trying to help.Your proposed fix seems a bit complicated to me.For now,I'll try TECH,s suggested fixes.
Will see how it goes.Don't worry about your English...As they say
practice makes good.Thanks again.

VAN

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »
Tech, Thanks for your prompt reply.I did the repair thing as suggested.Did'nt know this existed!In Admin/Tools/Services,the first 2 are auto,but the other 2 are manual!Should I change them to Auto?
No.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.

Evanhoe

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »
Tech
What do you suggest I do next?I had the problem,again this morning,and because I was half asleep,I did'nt notice it until I had been on the internet for 20 minutes!Very scary.Hope you can help further?Thanks again.

VAN

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 01:45:27 PM »
Have you done the uninstall, boot, install, boot that Tech suggested and you said you were going to do if the problem persists ?
If not that is the next step and possibly quicker than trying to track it down and resolve.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:11:07 PM »
Have you done the uninstall, boot, install, boot that Tech suggested and you said you were going to do if the problem persists ?
If not that is the next step and possibly quicker than trying to track it down and resolve.
Follow David's advice  8)

Evanhoe

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »
Thanks David and Tech,
Will do uninstall Avast etc...I have the application on CD dated 25/1/06.Will this be ok for reinstalling Avast?I don't want to go on the Internet unprotected,to re download it.

VAN

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 03:13:04 PM »
Whilst this is possible and the one from 25/1/2006 would work, a lot of things have changed since then, not to mention 9 months worth of VPS updates.
You may also have to use the avast! Uninstall Utility, to completely remove any trace of the previous (newer) version,  find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later. Run that after the uninstall, boot, run uninstall utility, boot, install, boot. This is probably the more complex option and I think least suitable option as the signatures and program are well out of date and would require a manual update right away.

I don't know if a friend can Download the latest version and save it on CD for you prior to the reinstall so it is available without going back on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »

Since you are already online with the version you have, why not download the lastest version of avast, save it to the desktop where you can easily find it but do not install, and then get off the internet. Follow the advice above and once the problem version you have of avast has been completely removed, do this:

Reboot
Install the newest version you saved to the desktop
Reboot

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »
I have the application on CD dated 25/1/06.Will this be ok for reinstalling Avast?
Better is download the last version.
You can download the last VPS updater too.
And, if you want, register avast again and use a 'new' key for it just from the beginning.

Evanhoe

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks,
DavidR,I downloaded the ''Uninstsall Utility''for use later.
CharlyO,I started re downloading Avast with my fast Dialup connection(Max 28 KBs).I'ts only 11.4 mb after all.LOL.
Tech,Will do as above,and let you all know how it went.

VAN

Evanhoe

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
Hi All,
I reinstalled Avast v 4.7,as suggested.Right now it seems to work normally.We'll see!I downloaded and used ASWclear.exe to delete.it did'nt exactly delete everything (as it suggested).There was stuff left in C/Program,and a little undelete program I have called (Total Uninstall) found a few more lines that had not been deleted.So far so good.Thanks for all your help.Cheers.

VAN