Author Topic: Warezov family  (Read 2565 times)

NickGolovko

Warezov family
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
The worms of Warezov family are actively spread now in email traffic.

Our Russian forum at Anti-Malware.Ru is discussing the problem of this family, and synchronously sometimes results of scanning of new its versions at VirusTotal or Jotti are posted. I am proud to announce that avast! detects many of new versions not detected by Kaspersky Anti-Virus and other leaders.

I'd like to send my congratulations to the virus lab of avast! and wish it to go on in the same manner. :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Warezov family
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:49:03 PM »
Halio NickGolovko,

Yep, there is some intersting information considering Warezov also know as Stration family of viruses here: http://www3.ca.com/be/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=58375

I prefer avast because it has less obvious false positives as DrWeb's. Lately CureIt flagged the Symantic update server lucomserver as malware on some machine of a friend with Norton 90 days, a clear positive. They also flag riskware as malware, not as riskware that is a FP when you yourself installed it on purpose. What is the positive side of DrWeb's is the very good update rate of their signatures (2nd only to Kav's), and the clever inovation of their anti-virus hyperlink checker plug-in, one of the best innovations lately of this really clever people from St. Petersburg.
Kav has such a good detection rate that it is used even in illegal malware versions, which is actually a big compliment to the makers of it, and the update rate is fabulous (best in the world).
The last period I depend on a combination of avast, clamWin non-resident, DrWeb plug-in, DrWebCureIt and the odd Bitdefender 9 online scan for my security, in combination with some anti-adware and anti-trojan solutions. What Russians are further known to be good at is their IDS programs, to be preferred against other IDS. Well this is all my personal humble opinion and experience,

pozdrawiam,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:50:41 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!