Author Topic: Re Anti Virus review  (Read 2163 times)

TheWhiteknight

Re Anti Virus review
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:32 PM »
Hi all , I came across this review http://xtreview.com/review146.htm I just wanted to know what everybody else thought ? As I thought the review about a Avast is a little questionable here is their conclusion .

( i think this version of Avast is a little out of date )
Avast! 4.7.844 Tests:
Manual virus detection 

Avast detects 12887  out of the 13621 which contain our base . The analysis of the partition containing the viruses is done  in 4 minutes and 19 seconds, a very correct time. in the analysis of 156 known viruses, it detects 152 viruses  in 4 minutes and 23 seconds (complete working station analyzes).

During the infection by the worms Netsky.q and Zafi.b, it removes the whole  files.
Automatic virus detection 

The software detects the files infected when u open the folder witch contain the virus. It analyzes without problem  file containing several viruses

Avast detects worm  inserted as  source code of  e-mail.
Impact on the system performance

The software makes  Windows start in 30 seconds (against 22 seconds without antivirus), that is to say a notable but acceptable difference. The compression of  file with 250 Mb is done in 52,8 seconds (51 without antivirus).

Our opinion:
Avast does not have great result vs its paying competitors on the level of its analysis: its engine of detection offers honourable results.

Cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Re Anti Virus review
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:33:31 PM »
Not just the review of avast, limited as it was.

But, when every AV review is crammed onto one single web page, huge as it is. I wouldn't and didn't start looking at the review, which appeared to simplified. I didn't notice anything about what was tested, how it was tested, what settings were used, etc. all this goes a lack of information to be able to make a judgement about the review much less the AVs.

There are other more established AV reviews if you are looking for virus detection http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I broke my rule and went back and when you can't enter a review of 0 out of 5 because that what was what I felt it was worth, I tried 1 out of 5 and on submitting it fell over with a coding error.

I also notice a nice image heading 'Hole Partition Scan' I fell about in stitches and fell into the Hole, so I didn't manage to read the whole review ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security