Author Topic: Google Web Accel disables Web Shield  (Read 5354 times)

testy

Google Web Accel disables Web Shield
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:42:07 AM »
I just recently checked my web shield and the scanned count remained at zero. I had just recently installed Google Web Accelerator . That is what is causing it.  Is there any way to make the web shield work with Google Web? When I checked connections in Internet options, the box "Use Automatic Configuration Script" was checked with this  in the box- http://localhost:9100/proxy.pac
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 12:50:09 AM by testy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Google Web Accel disables Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:14:28 AM »
Try a search of these forums for Google Web Accelerator it should return some hits as this topic has been previously discussed.

I'm not sure if it was possible or anyone got it to work with web shield, but you could try adding the 9100 port to those redirected to web shield.

Quote from: avast help file - Resident Protection - Web Shield Provider
Redirected HTTP port(s). Here you can specify the number of HTTP ports you want to redirect to avast! proxy. This setting is important when you use some kind of proxy server to access the Internet and you want to scan the communication between the server and your computer. So, if you connect to a proxy server using e.g. port 3128, enter this number into the box. Otherwise, avast! will expect the communication to take place on port 80 (default) and everything else will be ignored.
Note: Do not enter any other ports than HTTP (such as port for ICQ, DC++, etc.).
Use commas to separate multiple port numbers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 04:50:29 AM »
OK, ever willing to try this stuff (and eternally grateful to the originator of Goback - even though it is now owned by Symantec) I just downloaded and installed the Google Web Accelerator. 

My default browser is Firefox but I have also tested (for this post) with IE7.

Apparently in the time it has been installed on my system it has saved me 2.5 seconds of download time.  At this rate - in a year it could probably save me a few hours thus recouping some of the time I spent installing it and looking into this issue. 

To be fair it is not as badly designed as most of the accelerators (aimed at dialup users) out there. 

As the originator reports - it stops the Webshield from working - because it sets up a proxy to go through the Google server configuration to get the benefit of DNS cached lookups and compression of the http datastream.  Apparently it, like avast, steps aside for https (secure SSL) datastreams.

David's suggestion came close in recommending that port 9100 be included in the ports intercepted by the Webshield.  This is not quite enough - since this is a localhost proxy and the default in avast is to ignore local communication. 

To to get avast in the loop and scanning the Web accesses with the Google Web Accelerator:

In the Webshield (General tab):

1) add port 9100 to the intercepted ports to make the box (remember the comma between port numbers):   80, 9100

2) Uncheck the box "Ignore local communication"

You should now find the urls reported in the Webshield again and the scanned count increasing.

Spiritsongs

Propel Web Accelerator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:54:05 AM »
 :)  Hi Alan :

I am using DialUp & my ISP's web accelerator ( by Propel
      Software v 5.0.0.1053 ) also shows a zero scanned
      count . I also wonder if it was the cause of my Avast icon
      "disappearing" a while back that I started a thread .
      At that time, I said " I have also been having trouble getting my ISP's
     'Accelerator' icon to appear in System Tray after booting
      and their "instructions" mention it uses a proxy server on
      my computer & that IO > Connections > Settings should
      have 'Use a proxy server for this connection' box
     'checked' and 'localhost' & port number 8080 entered;
      Should this be entered somewhere in my Avast Settings ? "
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:03:23 AM by Spiritsongs »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 08:58:37 AM »
I investigated Propel's accelerator quite some time ago.  It is used by a number of ISPs under different names and is aimed at dialup users (unlike the Google Web Accelerator).

As far I can determine the Propel accelerator (which intercepts web and email traffic) is totally incompatible with avast's email intercept.  I have not done any further testing on its Web functions which, as I recall it, may be a simpler proxy.  Also, as  I recall, there is not a choice to have the Web proxy and ditch the mail intercept. 

A search here may show if others have found a way to make the Propel product work with avast.  I have my doubts - but if you do not find an answer I can take a look again at the Web side.  I doubt that anything will have changed on the email side.  It may well be that adding port 8080 to the port intercepts for avast (plus unchecking the ignore local communication box) in the Webshield may get avast scanning the Web activity again.

As to your lost icon(s).  I would have to suspect (rather more than suspect - believe) an over zealous anti-spyware product that is intervening when updates to existing products are simply re-inserting their startup entries in the registry.  I note that Windows Defender reports such updates to me for investigation.  It was very clear during the last round of avast updates that some product(s) simply removed the system startup entry for avast ... the same may be happening to other products such as your accelerator.     
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:10:16 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the further investigation Alan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

testy

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 02:17:13 PM »
Web Accelerator is for DSL and Cable only. Doesn't work for dial-up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
Is it working now (web shield scanning content) with the directions Alan gave ?