Author Topic: Virus parite  (Read 4311 times)

louquat

Virus parite
« on: January 27, 2004, 12:01:17 PM »
After downloading Avast it discovered the win32 parite virus. It couldn't repair it though and moved all the files to another location. The windows system is now not able to find the installing windows exe and all sorts of other problems are happening. Is there any way to restore the files to where they were and then trying to find a better solution?

whocares

Re:Virus parite
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »
hi,

the infected files are probably in AVAST'S chest

use the board search above on
PARITE
and look for it in the virusinfos below
--> lots of tips/instructions there;
specially Trendmicros instructions should always help..

also read the avast manual and FAQ's in the support pages

please post avast's report/log and where it found what and what it did with the infected files
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 12:15:59 PM by whocares »

louquat

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 10:18:59 AM »
The report log shows errors in the exe. files, the list is huge. It moved them to Avast 4/Data/moved/etc. I don't understand in the search help how to move the extensions back individually as I don't know where they came from in the first place. If I run XP again will I still keep my current information or must I backup important data first? Is this a logical thing to do. I also checked in the chest of Avast and it said there was an error in reading it.

whocares

Re:Virus parite - Hi ALWILs, we need some help with corrupted CHEST here !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 10:58:18 AM »
Somebody from ALWIL could help with the chest problem here ??

Hi,

did you try to let avast REPAIR the files ? (recommended!!)
or did you just tell it to move them (NOT recommended)

if the chest is corrupted/shows errors, i don't know if you will be able to move the files back; besides, they might be corrupted or still infected; you would have to restore/reinstall them from a clean backup then.
avast itself might be corrupted/infected

->
you might try downloading avasts installfile again on a different CLEAN pc and transfer it by CD to the infected one..
then install it in safe mode (F8-Boot) repairing avasts installation or overwriting it; immediately adfterwards, do a full thorough scan of the whole PC, letting avast REPAIR any infected files!!
then schedule a boot-time scan from avast's menu (click upper left corner of avast'S Scanner Window)

but you really should have a go at this description/solution from
Trendmicro
(Click this Link)

before doing anything further, however, a backup of your important files is always a good idea..
just be sure to check the backup files thoroughly with avast and Trendmicro's scanner before restoring them, after you have cleaned the system!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 11:05:09 AM by whocares »

louquat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the link. I will try it now. I did ask Avast to repair it first but it said it couldn't so I tried the other option of moving it, being uneducated that this would only complicate things later. I managed to download a small file from bitdefender that picked up the virus in the Avast moved folders and cleaned it while I was online which I wish I had found before but the damage has been done now and I have to find a way to restore the files. I will check if the link you gave me tells me anything. Many thanks.