Author Topic: avast did not check emails with thunderbird+pop3+imap+ssl  (Read 3048 times)

zivilist

avast did not check emails with thunderbird+pop3+imap+ssl
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:08:47 PM »
Hallo,

since I move to another flat I can only use pop3 with SSL and SMTP with SSL (security reason) with thunderbird 1.5.0.7. Here I have a local network and the university (my ISP) cancel connection using no encryption. I can't change it.
I notice that avast home did not check emails (incoming and outgoing).

Can anybody help me?

Avast Home 4.7.892
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:12:32 PM by zivilist »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: avast did not check emails with thunderbird+pop3+imap+ssl
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:20:48 PM »
SSL was designed and exists just to stop anyone intercepting it and viewing what is being sent.  That is why it is used for transactions such as your online banking. 

Once you switch to using a secure connection for your email (the client you use does not matter) then avast or any other antivirus product can no longer scan the mail. 

If the mail service you are using advises you that it is already scanning your mail for viruses then you may well decide that is enough. 

If you do want avast to scan this mail then you need to arrange to have the secure connection to the mail server terminated inside your computer and then allow the mail to be scanned by avast as it is transferred (inside your computer) to Thunderbird.  The best known product to do this is STunnel (it is a free product) and if you search in this forum you can find many references that would help you set it up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast did not check emails with thunderbird+pop3+imap+ssl
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:04:25 AM »
If you do want avast to scan this mail then you need to arrange to have the secure connection to the mail server terminated inside your computer and then allow the mail to be scanned by avast as it is transferred (inside your computer) to Thunderbird.  The best known product to do this is STunnel (it is a free product) and if you search in this forum you can find many references that would help you set it up.
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
Advanced configuration: please refer to this post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8775.msg97026#msg97026
The best things in life are free.