Author Topic: Unknown Problem on Fathers machine  (Read 4320 times)

lilolee

Unknown Problem on Fathers machine
« on: October 20, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »
Hi guys

I set my Father up with a PC running Win2k and Avast as the AV.

He switched it on this morning and said that Avast said there was an fatal error (best I could get out of him as a description) and ever since he hasn't been able to get onto the internet.

As I am a non Avast user could somebody tell me if this is something that may happen and if it is then what can be done.

Normally I fix things using remote access, but since he can get onto the internet....

Thanks in Advance

Lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unknown Problem on Fathers machine
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 01:25:10 AM »
Do your father use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can he try to repair his installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). He must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can he uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

lilolee

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »
Good question.

I tried to get him to do just that, but he said that nothing happened when he clicked Change/Remove. It may have been him as he is very nonPC. I will be having a phone session with him this morning. Just enough time for me to get Avast and see what it looks like.

No other AV software from what I can recall.

And as I said it appears that whatever happened is preventing him from accessing the Internet.

Cheers

Lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:04:13 PM »
Lilolee, it will be difficult to help your father at distance...
If he can't connect the internet, maybe a firewall is blocking WebShield.
If you can, ask him to check if the following programs are allowed to connect (maybe into Windows Firewall):

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
The best things in life are free.

lilolee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:17:49 PM »
Yeah, I guessed that  >:(

Still an excused to be fussed over by my Mum on Sunday :)

It's Win2k so no firewall, there is a router's firewall, I just didn't want even more things to confuse my Dad. I'll have my laptop to check connectivity.

Cheers

Lee

Reslayer

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »
Maybe, he gotta write down his reg key and try to kill the program manually? I can't remember if Win2k runs Software Tool (appwiz.cpl) in safe mode, but I'd recommend you to try. At least, there could be a problem with registry and/or avast uninstall files.
Does Avast! Installation program not help with remove/repair?

SYAZ,
 Reslayer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

If you can use rhe add remove programs function to uninstall avast use the utility and reboot then reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Reslayer

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:48:04 PM »
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

If you can use rhe add remove programs function to uninstall avast use the utility and reboot then reinstall.

Sure, man, you're right!
Let's wait for the Asker to read this... Ж=))))

lilolee

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 01:04:42 AM »
Yeap, already downloaded the uninstall Utility, but won't know until Sunday whether it is needed.

Who knows, it might just be my Dad being a complete noob  ::)

lilolee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 11:16:45 AM »
Well went down yesterday and fixed it. Looks like Avast disables network connection.

Anyway, reinstalled Avast, put on CCleaner and Adaware as well, and made sure it all worked fine.

Guess what.....

All goes wrong again this morning, and on the same web site that Avast didn't like before. So what malicious site is this I wonder, and guess what it is this http://www.toby-carvery.co.uk/find_your_nearest_toby.php For those not in the UK Toby Inns are food eateries and my Dad was searching for one near where he lives.

Could somebody please tell me what it might be that causes Avast problems with the above site and Win2k?

Cheers

Lee

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 03:17:07 PM »
Quote from: lilolee
Looks like Avast disables network connection.
avast! doesn't block network connections, it isn't a firewall, it monitors content and alerts you to infection.

Well that link comes up clean with DrWeb link checker extension for firefox, I'm also able to visit that page with firefox and no alerts. I have also visited the page with IE and maxthon and no problems or alerts.

Whilst, I'm using XP Pro not win2k I don't think that could have any effect. Sorry this only confirms the site is OK and avast has no problem with it.

Since the original problem was a Lost Internet Connection - To recover you internet connection, try downloading and running Winsock fix: see this link http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 Or http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/spyware/repair.html.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security