Author Topic: Settings not showing  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Knightstand

Settings not showing
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
When I click on settings from menu it just goes back to the main screen with "This computer is protected" in the center and status, protection, privacy and performance to the left. Enter Activation code, my subscriptions, earn rewards, browser extensions, my statistics, help and about all work as they should. Settings is the only thing that won't. Am I supposed to have an activation code or be signed in or something for it to work with the free version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Settings not showing
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 12:16:07 AM »
Only paid for versions Avast Premium or Ultimate require an Activation code.

Your avast free versions should be linked to the avast account that you used to logon to this forum.

See attached image screenshot 1, is this the one that doesn't work for you ?
If so try an Avast Repair:
Windows > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program > select Avast, see screenshot 2, this doesn't immediately start to uninstall but will throw up a window to proceed, accept > this will open a window with choices, see screenshot 3 - 'Repair' is the one to select.

Once you have done the Repair I suggest that you Restart your system to ensure any changes made are actioned.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:17:44 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline velvetine

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
Heya, I had this happen to me too except my Ransomware shield also stopped working. My avast was 20.6, repairing it fixed it until I restarted my pc. Then it went back to being broken, both the settings and the Ransomware shield.

What fixed it for me was uninstalling with avast clear and reinstalling avast completely

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »
Heya, I had this happen to me too except my Ransomware shield also stopped working. My avast was 20.6, repairing it fixed it until I restarted my pc. Then it went back to being broken, both the settings and the Ransomware shield.

What fixed it for me was uninstalling with avast clear and reinstalling avast completely

Staying with 20.6 wasn't going to fix the problem, in another earlier post you say you didn't want to update to 20.7.

The latest version which has just been released is 20.10.2442 (build 20.10.5824.618), so your clean reinstall should have updated you to that version ?

So a program update from the user interface may have resolved it without having to do a clean reinstall, but we will never know that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security