Author Topic: IE 7 and Avast free edition  (Read 4901 times)

TacoBellSteve

IE 7 and Avast free edition
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »
I have two desktop PC's, both use DSL connection, running Windows XP Home SP2.  Both use Avast Anti-Virus free edition.

Last week, IE 7 was released.  Download/Installation went fine on both machines, and I can connect to the Internet at my usual speed.  However, every time I reboot both computers, log-in info at websites is erased, forcing me to retype them.  Log-in info such as at this forum.  I didn't have this problem with IE 6.

I have made several checks, gotten some feedback in other forums, but nothing has solved this mystery.  In fact, I can't find anyone else mentioning a similar glitch.  Is there ANY chance Avast AV could be the culprit?  ???   I have since uninstalled IE 7 and gone back to IE 6, and the log-in info glitch is gone.

This is not really a big deal since Firefox is my default web browser, but I would like to resolve this issue if possible.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: IE 7 and Avast free edition
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:04:45 PM »
I have a number of issues with IE7 but it is not my default browser so I can wait for them to be sorted out. 

I have just tried the login concern you raised.  I find that I can login here on the avast forum, exit from IE7, startup IE7 again and my login is remaining in effect for this forum. 

avast's only interaction with any browser is to scan the http traffic, it has no knowledge of or effect on the way any browser stores other information like cookies, cache, registry etc. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:29:49 PM »
Quote from: TacoSteve
Last week, IE 7 was released.  Download/Installation went fine on both machines, and I can connect to the Internet at my usual speed.  However, every time I reboot both computers, log-in info at websites is erased, forcing me to retype them.  Log-in info such as at this forum.  I didn't have this problem with IE 6.

I suggest you look at the browser settings, having not use IE7 I don't know if there is anything like in firefox where you can delete temporary internet files, cookies and completed form information either on, closing IE7 or on shutdown. Many sites use cookies to keep you logged on so if you delete that you will have to logon again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »
<<I have just tried the login concern you raised.  I find that I can login here on the avast forum, exit from IE7, startup IE7 again and my login is remaining in effect for this forum.>> 

Well, opening and closing IE doesn't trigger the log-in info glitch on my PC.  It's when I reboot my computer. 

However, I agree that Avast can not be the culprit.

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
I may have this glitch solved.  I just visited the CCleaner online forum, and apparently CCleaner and IE 7 are not fully compatible yet.  Others have reported problems with CCleaner messing up cookies with IE 7.  I have disabled CCleaner from running at startup, deleted my cookies, re-entered log-in info at various websites, rebooted, and now the log-in info is still there.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Quote from: TacoSteve
I have disabled CCleaner from running at startup, deleted my cookies, re-entered log-in info at various websites, rebooted, and now the log-in info is still there.

This doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue (but other things might) as it seemed to be doing what it was set to do and it is working as intended. Deleting cookies on start-up, so as I said if cookies are deleted, many sites will require you to log in again. Not an IE7 security setting killing them but ccleaner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »
The problem is I never had CCleaner configured to delete any cookies.  Yet it was messing up my and others log-in data. 

The comment about IE 7 not being fully compatible with CCleaner came from a CCleaner moderator.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:36:23 PM by TacoSteve »

stevejrc

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:19:14 PM »
Im using CCleaner and IE7 with no problems. CCleaner deletes all cookies by default, so you must put all cookies you want in the "Cookies to keep" section.

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
Im using CCleaner and IE7 with no problems. CCleaner deletes all cookies by default, so you must put all cookies you want in the "Cookies to keep" section.

I've never done that.  I just take the checkmark out of the 'Cookies' section.

stevejrc

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
Do you have temporary internet files checked?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 07:36:54 PM »
You can use the Exclusion list of it and keep only the 'forum session' ones  ;)
At least it worked with IE6  ::)
The best things in life are free.

stevejrc

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 07:52:04 PM »

Ok, but to get around the problem, add your wanted cookies to the "Cookies to keep" section and add the checkmark. I know you shouldn't have to, but it works on mine. Its worth using anyway.

TacoBellSteve

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 11:18:29 PM »
The irony of this glitch is that CCleaner actually wasn't deleting any cookies.  While I still had this problem, I checked to make sure.  Following this path: open Internet Explorer 7, Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View files.  The cookies are still listed there at the bottom.  The problem is that the log-in info is gone when I visit the websites.

I have since removed CCleaner from starting at boot up, and taken a check mark out of Delete index.dat files.  Now I can do a manual cleanup without causing any problems with log-in info.

I'm going to wait until CCleaner releases an updated version.  The URL below explains the glitch even more:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=6981

stevejrc

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »
I didn't have index.dat files checked so thats why mines ok. I saw a bug report a while back about IE7 not updating index.dat files once deleted so it could actually be IE7 at fault, anyway hope its soon fixed.