Author Topic: Avast Anti- Virus Home edition.  (Read 3082 times)

Orientphile

Avast Anti- Virus Home edition.
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:14:37 AM »
I Have several questions about your product.  I just downloaded this product yesterday, and I can not seem to get it to work.  The Icon shows up in my tray, but it is always gray, never blue.  When I tried to run a full Disk scan on my hard drives, it procedes only so far and then the computer shuts down and restarts.  I had this same prblem with the AVG Free Edition, and that is why I deleted that file.  Is there some program in Windows XP that prohibits this program from running to completion.  Is there anything I can do to get virus protection that can actually scan my hard drives.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Anti- Virus Home edition.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »
Grey is good, well Blue Grey ;D it isn't a bright Royal Blue.

What is your Operating System ?
If XP try scheduling a boot-time scan to see if it can get past the area of concern.

What settings did you use for the scan, Low/Standard/Thorough, with or without Archives ?
Does it seem to stop at the same point ?
Does it go to a BSOD or just a Black screen (possible hardware issues, heat, CPU, RAM, etc.) and reboots ?

If you can be as detailed as you can it would be appreciated and let us know a little more about your system
Try doing a scan with settings Low, without archives and see if that completes then perhaps a Standard scan also without archives.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Orientphile

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 06:35:36 AM »
Ok, I figured out part of this.  I have a Browser Hijacker Retaliator Program  from Zamaan's Software, that runs constantly.  I tried running a scan after I disabled that program, and it scanned to completion.  Apparently there is something in that program that interferes with the Virus Check.  Since the Grey, color is ok, I guess that takes care of all my problems here.  At least to this point.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:57:48 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out AND posted back your solution. It may help others!

Grey-blue, doesn't really matter as long as it spins around and dosen't have a red x on it. ;D 8)