Author Topic: Avast Not Producing a Log File  (Read 4376 times)

Becca

Avast Not Producing a Log File
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:45:27 PM »
Since yesterday, my Avast is not creating a log file after it performs a function. It is picking this new worm up in emails but is not logging anything. I like to check to be sure things were performed as they should. I've done 2 scans and it has not created a log file yet, and it always does. I did clear the log file yesterday and since it has not created a new one. The logging setting is set at "warning". I get upwards of one thousand emails per day and yesterday and today since this newer worm surfaced, I have of course received it and Avast caught it, but I like to be able to see what functions it performed. Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Avast Not Producing a Log File
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi Becca,

It sounds like the only "problem" you're having is one we see here quite often, confusing reports with logs.

Logging keeps track of problems avast is finding within itself, or with trying to interact with other parts of your system -- essentially operating errors.  The "Info" log will typically become quite full, if you have that enabled, but the other log categories should normally remain more or less empty unless you're running into serious problems.

Scan activity and its results are recorded in Records.  There's no quick-and-easy way to view those, unfortunately (in Home, anyway), unless you've just finished a scan and are still showing the summary results.

But they're in the data\records folder under avast and are ordinary txt files, so you can view them thru Windows Explorer -- stick a shortcut to that folder on your desktop, if you like, to make it a little simpler.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 08:51:16 PM »
Maybe a tiny correction: what you are looking for is called "Reports" (or "Report files").
In the default configuration, avast! doesn't create them; in the program Settings, you can specify if/where/how you want them to be created, and what info to store in them.

Becca

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 10:29:28 PM »
Thank you so much for a fast reply. I'll try to explain my self some better. In the section called Log Viewer, there are buttons there such as Warning, Notice, Alert, etc. Prior to yesterday, I can't remember if it is the warning or alert button, I could press one of those and it displayed all the virus alerts that had come in via scan or email. It would show, date, time and type of bug, where it was located, etc. That is no longer happening. Also, after my last 2 scans, the little clipboard thing has not popped up after the scan either. It always does as I have a couple of passworded folders Avast is unable access. So it tells me which folders it could not scan. I'm thinking maybe I should just do a clean install of Avast to be safe.

I have to say thank you for Avast. It is by far the best AV program I have ever found in many years on the Net. I've purchased the most notables, used the free ones and Avast beats them all hands down. Because of the huge volume of email I receive daily and the many web sites I visit, I have to have something very dependable and secure. Avast is the best.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 12:12:52 AM »
Maybe a tiny correction: what you are looking for is called "Reports" (or "Report files").

You're right, of course -- Reports, not Records.  Not enough coffees here yet, I guess.  ;)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent