Author Topic: Avast UI serious issue since a few updates  (Read 3234 times)

Offline justice82

Avast UI serious issue since a few updates
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:13:25 AM »
Hi,

a few program updates ago (most probably around september/october), the avast main window and ALL others windows opened does not respond to any user events, windows stays on top and cannot be interact with. I have to use task manager to kill AvastUI process to get rid of it. No update possible either, I have to use offline installer each time I want to try a new update (and maybe there is no virus DB update but I could not check).

Scan from explorer: popup window opens and cannot be clause at all !
button or cross doesn't respond to event. These damned window stays on top of everything !
Is it a new "feature" of the free version ?

Last release installed : 03/06/2020 11h02   ver:20.4.2410 version: 20.4.5312.580, still have the issue.
(other releases tried: 20.10.5824.0, 20.7.5568.589)

(below is the first release with the issue)

- Which Avast..? Free
- Which version/build of Avast..?  03/06/2020 11h02
                  ver:20.4.2410 version: 20.4.5312.580
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)   Win7 ultimate 64bits
- Other security related software installed..?   none
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?   don't remember, I'm using avast for many years now, and only this one on this computer/os

How can I get the expected normal behaviour back ?
Is this issue known by the way ?

Regards.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast UI serious issue since a few updates
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline justice82

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »
I still have the issue :(.

What I've done :
- reboot in failsafe mode
- run avast cleanup tool
- rename avast data directory
- reboot
- download avast offline installer and run it
 (it wait quite a while to ask for a mandatory reboot)
- reboot

Looks like avast software use some kind of library for the UI stuff which is buggy for me, is there any comprehensive list of dependencies ?

Offline Michal137

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
Hello,
I'm terribly sorry you have such experience.
To find out what's happening, please upload/send us logs located at C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log (mainly AvastUI.log) and also cef_log.txt located at C:\Users\<profile name>\AppData\Roaming\Avast Software\Avast\log\cef_log.txt
This will give us pointers to see what's happening.
Thank you!

Offline justice82

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
ok, I'll do that.

Is there any way to access to logfile while avast is running ? Looks like files are locked even for reading by other process.
Is it ok to give you download link by private msg ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
ok, I'll do that.

Is there any way to access to logfile while avast is running ? Looks like files are locked even for reading by other process.
Is it ok to give you download link by private msg ?

As far as I'm aware you should be able to access the folders and files.

If you are trying to open them (even to read) unless you were using notepad.exe other word processors/text editors are likely to be blocked by the avast self-defence module.  You should however be able to copy the file to another location and then view it.

You should be able to give a download link by PM, the only limitation would be any forum limitation for Newbie (under 20 posts) status, but I believe this restriction may have been lowered or even removed.  Or any restriction in the recipients settings.  If you are having any problems with that get back to the topic and I will try to draw some attention to the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline justice82

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 05:56:42 PM »
Hi,

does Michal137 still there ?

I've sent a reply (Jan 12th) about a bunch of questions and get no reply since then. Hope it's not end in a blackhole as the issue become more and more annoying (looks like avast lock an external drive, which hold a memory card, I have to use to restore an image but I can't and I'm unable to disable external drive checking due to the UI issue).

Hope anyone from avast team will see this.

Regards.

Offline Michal137

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »
Hello, 
I'm sorry for no answers!
I already relayed all your answers to the developer responsible for the UI and it's framework as you sent them to me but didn't really get a proper answer.
I will escalate the issue and will let you know during the week.
Thank you for your patience,
Michal

Offline Michal137

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:14 PM »
One more thing that just came to mind - does interacting with tray icon work? Eg. right clicking it and disabling shields. That could also be helpful.
Thanks,
Michal

Offline justice82

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Hi,

ok too bad.
I still believe trying a simple bare window may help pinpoint the issue.

And no need to thank me, what could I do anyway ?  ::) wait... wait... wait forever till I die so "no issue, done, good job !"

For your other question: no !
As soon as Avast window is there, the only resort is to use the CTRL-ALT-SUPPR magic sequence to "bring back" control using task manager.
Also, I have a little perf monitor displayed as an overlay on top of the task bar and since the issue, I can't move the small windows as I see fit and didn't get the info popup when mouse pointer is over on of them.

Hello, 
I'm sorry for no answers!
I already relayed all your answers to the developer responsible for the UI and it's framework as you sent them to me but didn't really get a proper answer.
I will escalate the issue and will let you know during the week.
Thank you for your patience,
Michal

Offline justice82

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
No luck so far and dev team does look so concerned regarding my issue.

To add even more pain on top of it, wednesday avast update itself one way or another and this genius just broke my internet connection because some kind of issue with secureDNS feature I don't use or don't want at all. System DNS was/were messed up where I have changed nothing myself.
I get it by checking on another computer on the same network, internet was ok there. I've kept log files just in case.

Reboot, then Avast still get better and better ask for a reboot ! I just did fool, so reboot again (does some ex-Microsoft devs has been hired ? (reboot, reboot, reboot, the only word they know !) Finally everything is almost fine, still UI issue. I'll try soon the last release.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
...because some kind of issue with secureDNS feature I don't use or don't want at all.
-> https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/96/ (Add/Remove components)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline justice82

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 07:52:09 PM »
...because some kind of issue with secureDNS feature I don't use or don't want at all.
-> https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/96/ (Add/Remove components)

Sure it's a bot to reply such an out-of-context useless answer :|. Great job guys from Avast, you do your best to throw away any potential customer, sure I will never spend a kopek on your software. Ever. And remove it for good soon (today for some unknown reason it's yahoo which is ultra slow, only on my computer, other websites are ok, that's great).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 08:13:24 PM »
1.  To start with the Certainly Bot is a forum category, based on the number of post would require it to be a bot.
2.  Asyn in an Avast User, just like you, trying to help other avast users, not an Avast Team member.

So lets keep it civil.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security