Author Topic: avast! Services  (Read 2136 times)

NickGolovko

avast! Services
« on: October 27, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »
I would agree that this is not a huge error, but I am scrupulous  ;D

I have enabled Password Protection in avast! 4 Home, and so it asks my password when I, for example, stop Web Shield. Web Shield is a separate service, as you know, and when I choose to stop temporarily, it is paused, and if I choose to stop permanently, it is stopped and disabled. That is OK.

But why nothing happens when I pause or disable the Web Shield service in Control Panel - Administration - Services? :) No password requested, etc.

{whispering aside} And, by the way, an anti-virus program should have its own self-defense preventing stopping its services, deleting files, changing registry items and terminating its processes  ::)

{aloud again} So how can you comment this?  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! Services
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »
I think avast 5 will have an antikill feature that will avoid this *by passing*.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22184.0
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! Services
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 04:08:29 PM »
Right now, the password protection feature is meant as a protection against restricted users (e.g. children) from messing with avast! configuration.
Such a user certainly shouldn't have rights to stop the service. If he/she does... well, worse problems can be caused than just stopping the antivirus...