Author Topic: Which antispyware works best with Avast?  (Read 6685 times)

markwolk

Which antispyware works best with Avast?
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:05 PM »
I love my Avast antivirus and I have recently upgraded to the Professional version.

I also have AdAware and Spywareblaster, both excellent freeware programs.

I am about to uninstall Ewido, as it is now a paid product and, during the 12 odd months I have used it to scan my drives, it actually did not find anything. The reviews I read on the new product were not very enthusiastic.

I have uninstalled Spybot, as I find its updates too unpredictable and its resident protection too obscure. All in all, it did more harm than good on my PC.

I have heard of Spysweeper, but the reviews of the latest versions are also not enthusiastic.

Any other antispyware I should have? Or am I well protected with Avast pro + AdAware + Spywareblaster?

I have never caught any major spyware to my knowledge as, I gather, I am not using the internet in a risky way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Which antispyware works best with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »
I am about to uninstall Ewido, as it is now a paid product and, during the 12 odd months I have used it to scan my drives, it actually did not find anything.
The reviews I read on the new product were not very enthusiastic.
Won't it be offered for free (without the resident) anymore?
Where did you read it?

I have uninstalled Spybot, as I find its updates too unpredictable and its resident protection too obscure. All in all, it did more harm than good on my PC.
In fact, these are two weakpoints of Spybot: updates and resident protection. But, there is a but, the updates were very very improved last months. It's not that bad.

I have heard of Spysweeper, but the reviews of the latest versions are also not enthusiastic.
I won't speak for paid spyware programs.
I'll think Spyware Terminator (with resident and antivirus plugin) could work for free with avast.
a-squared is a very good one (no resident on free version).
I still believe on AVG antispyware (ex-ewido).
Ad-aware does not have a good detection rate. I can't stay just with it...
The best things in life are free.

markwolk

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
Won't it be offered for free (without the resident) anymore?
Where did you read it?
You are correct; it will apparently still be available as freeware; I made a mistake.

The place where I read some little enthusiastic comments is the ewido forum on Castlecops.com.

I'll think Spyware Terminator (with resident and antivirus plugin) could work for free with avast.
a-squared is a very good one (no resident on free version).
Thanks! I'll give them a try.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

JerryM

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 04:44:35 AM »
I have used Spyware Terminator, Ewido Plus, A-squard free, SuperAntiSpyware, and Counterspy with Avast Home. There have been no conflicts.

I must say that Avast has been one of the most trouble free AVs I have used.

Best,
Jerry

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 09:10:57 AM »
 :)  Hi Mark :

My antiSPYWARE programs are Ad-Aware Personal,
      Ewido 4.0.0.172 ( do NOT plan on "upgrading" to the
     "new" AVG antispyware 7.5 for a while ) and the FREE
       ver of "SUPERantispyware".

The Best info about Ewido/AVG Antispyware is on the
      "Ewido" forums on wilderssecurity, NOT the one(s) on
       castlecops.

JerryM

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 09:40:44 PM »
Hi Spiritsongs,

FWIW, I upgraded to the AVG AS 7.5, and all has worked well. In fact I have not noticed any change from Ewido other than the icon.

Best,
Jerry

buttoni

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:58:26 PM »
I have been running CounterSpy 1.5 alongside Avast on machine with WinXP & 512MB Ram.  It's an excellent antispsyware product with 32 realtime protection agents.  It's $19.95 the first year & only $9.95 each year thereafter.  It's rated right up with SpySweeper on performance & protection.  It has a really nice set of information, cleanup, & web tracks erasing tools in the GUI.  I don't even need CCleaner anymore!  The Threat Engine hogs memory, but I think the protection is worth it.  I don't have a lot of programs running on my machine & only use it for susrfing & email, so memory is not an issue for me.  I just installed Firefox 2.0 (new FF user) today and surfing faster than I ever did with IE6 or ATT Browser that uses IE6.

I run Adaware & AVG AntiSpy (formerly Ewido) on-demand only.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:03:15 PM by buttoni »

Spiritsongs

Firefox 2.0
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 11:18:43 PM »
 :)  Hi Buttoni :

Last Wed there was a post on the annoyances.org
      forums by a Firefox "fan" saying she is "delaying"
      installing Firefox 2.0 ; for this person ( "Carol J" ) to say
      that is HIGHLY UNUSUAL . See :

www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1161800156 .

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 11:33:58 PM »
You can always find somebody willing to write a negative article about Firefox- especially Geogre Ou.

He was so keen to write something negative, he moaned about a blank bar below the navigation buttons. The entire comments section seems to be filled with people telling him how to turn off the favourites toolbar. (Your humble correspondent got there first!)

If he was as keen to find fault, he could have pointed out that the menu toolbar in IE7  is not shown by default. It took me about as long to find how to show the menus in IE7 as it did to find how to hide the menu in Firefox- about ten seconds.

EDIT: The writer of the other article doesn't like the new icons. Pleeeaaaze!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:37:03 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
I'm running Avast home, Spyware blaster (which uses virtually nothing) Winpatrol, Spybot with the immuniser on but the system protection off, Comodo firewall, and SpywareTerminator. No problems.
I've read of people using Windows defender with Avast, no probs.
I recommend a resident antispy or anti trojan program. That is one of the most prevalent threats, I think.
ewido (AVG AntiSpyware) has a good rep as a trojan catcher. Realtime does expire after 30days, though. Spyware Terminator doesn't expire. Pretty good! A squared is another pretty good (demand) trojan catcher.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

JerryM

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:35:02 PM »
I have been running CounterSpy 1.5 alongside Avast on machine with WinXP & 512MB Ram.  It's an excellent antispsyware product with 32 realtime protection agents.  It's $19.95 the first year & only $9.95 each year thereafter.  It's rated right up with SpySweeper on performance & protection.  It has a really nice set of information, cleanup, & web tracks erasing tools in the GUI.  I don't even need CCleaner anymore!  The Threat Engine hogs memory, but I think the protection is worth it.  I don't have a lot of programs running on my machine & only use it for susrfing & email, so memory is not an issue for me.  I just installed Firefox 2.0 (new FF user) today and surfing faster than I ever did with IE6 or ATT Browser that uses IE6.

I run Adaware & AVG AntiSpy (formerly Ewido) on-demand only.

Hi buttoni,

The CS 2.0 now in beta uses significantly fewer resourced than V1.5. Although I prefer SuperAntiSpyware (for no particularly good reason) I found CS 2.0 to run well, and it is probably the least expensive AS around. I would not hesitate to recommend CS.
I like it much better than Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor.
It seems less intrusive than SS, and with fewer FP than SD.

Best,
Jerry