Author Topic: Avast 4 only works once (win98/dialup/Outlook Express)  (Read 3275 times)

fdebruin

Avast 4 only works once (win98/dialup/Outlook Express)
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »
I am struggling to get Avast 4.7 Home to work properly on a windows 98 machine. The installation was flawless and the configuration seems correct: I can make a connection, get and send email, and I see that the e-mail gets scanned by Avast.

However, after disconnecting the link (it is an analog phone line), any attempt to reconnect to the remote host fails already at establishing the dial-up connection.

Here are scenario that I have tried, over and over again:

a - * OK * Boot the machine
b - * OK * Make dial-up connection
c - * OK * Start Outlook Express (automatic connection to pop box succeeds)
d - * OK * Disconnect the connection (either automatically by Outlook or manually)
e - *FAIL* Make dial-up connection (either manually or by Outlook)
f - * OK *  Reboot the machine
g - * OK * Make dial-up connection
h - * OK * Start Outlook Express (automatic connection to pop box succeeds)

In failure case, the modem dials out and a connection is made with the remote system. The username/password verification takes place and then the connections gets aborted.

Also, trying to establish the connection from within Outlook Express fails. After that, no matter what I try, I cannot get a dial-up link establish any longer. Only a reboot seems to clear the situation.

I am suspecting Avast 4 because the machine has been working in this set-up with Symantec antivirus without a problem for years.

Does any one have suggestions?

Regards
Frank de Bruin

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Avast 4 only works once (win98/dialup/Outlook Express)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:08:49 AM »
How did you remove Norton? It's usually hard to completely remove.

Check this post for additional removal tools if you haven't already used them.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18776.msg158995#msg158995

I was on dialup before with win98 and no problems.

edited to add link :-[
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:11:56 AM by oldman »

fdebruin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
Thanks oldman,

I have used the removal procedure recommended by Symantec, including the running of a tool, editing of the registry, and the manual removal of directories and files.

But you're advise is welcomed and I will try to run the removal tool once more

Frank

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »
I am suspecting Avast 4 because the machine has been working in this set-up with Symantec antivirus without a problem for years.
Frank, I can't imagine that avast is avoiding you to connect. Just because avast does not dial, does not disconnect. It does not have these features  ::)
Are you using any firewall?
Is there any log file from your modem?
The best things in life are free.

fdebruin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »
Hello tech,

the dialing itself is not a problem: the modem dials, I can hear the tones and the connection is made. But for what ever reason the protocol(s) don't get to get established fully and eventuallly the connection is aborted again.

Note that this only happens once I start try to access the mail via the combination Outlook Express/Avast. If I don't activate these, I can disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect to my hearts contents. The moment, I go email, it goes wrong on the subsequent connection.

I am not a expert but I was wondering whether some protocol resource could stay allocated (like a buffer) even after disconnecting.

I will try to see whether I can get to the modem log but since the dialing itself is not the problem, I have a doubt this will show something.

Coming to think of it, I will also try to delete the dial up connection and create a new one.

Frank

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 05:54:32 PM »
Note that this only happens once I start try to access the mail via the combination Outlook Express/Avast. If I don't activate these, I can disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect to my hearts contents. The moment, I go email, it goes wrong on the subsequent connection.
Can't you disable the option to 'disconnect' after receiving mail?
I think the order Internet > avast > Outlook Express could have being misunterpreted and the modem disconnect, I'm just guessing...

Coming to think of it, I will also try to delete the dial up connection and create a new one.
It will be a good test.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:11:36 PM »
A real head scratcher.

To view the modem log

Start\settings\control panel\internet options\connections tab
click on your connection
settings
under dial up
properties
connect using section
configure\connection tab\advanced\view log

or if you know the name of your modem
open windows explorer\click on windows folder, find the log file in the right hand panel.

The log file may tell you why the connection was broken.

As you posted that you make a connection first THEN open OE,  is your OE connection the same as your default connection? If they aren't, OE will give you a popup telling you that a connection is already made and do you wish to use it. If you click yes, you will be able to send recieve.