Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 and Extensions  (Read 26373 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox 2.0 and Extensions
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 07:38:58 PM »
As far as cookies go I think that they have removed a very useful option the ability to deny third party cookies whilst accepting cookies from the originating site. I hate this third party cookie cr*p nearly as much as the third party scripts you find when you use NoScript it opens your eyes to what is going on behind the scenes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

neal62

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »
Polonus, have you used this cookie manager program? Please go HERE to view the program.  :)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 07:58:59 PM »
To accept cookies from the originating site only...

Type "about:config" into the address bar in Firefox 2.0, and hit enter.

Scroll down to "network.cookie.cookieBehavior".

Set value to "1"

(If accepting cookies from the originating site was your preference is 1.5, it may already be set to "1" as part of the transfered user set.)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 08:08:50 PM »
Back to topic (incompatible extensions) ...

My Show Image (0.4.1) has so far been rejected by 2.0.  They've been fairly good in the past at keeping up with Firefox upgrades, typically within a week or 10 days, but the last entry in their "comments" is something like a year old so I wonder if they've abandoned new development.

Show Image is handy because I can Stop a page then view the image right in its original place-holder, so I don't have to wait for the whole page.  Firefox's View Image, in contrast, insists on refreshing the window to display just the image, so I have to go Back (and possibly reload) if I decide I want to follow the thumbnail-link.

Too bad there wasn't a way to make View Image open a new window (or new tab), then I wouldn't need the extension.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
Show Image (0.4.1)

Show Image has been updated to 0.4.2

See here:

http://showimage.mozdev.org/

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »
Tried to install it but got a message in FF stating the
FF is preventing moxdev.org from asking me to install the program.  ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »
^,

As I said earlier in this thread...

"If anyone has a favorite extension or theme, that hasn't updated yet, do check the author's website. It may be available, but is in the queue to be approved by Mozilla, and it hasn't been added to the official update list yet."

That's probably the reason. Stand by...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:56:18 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Well lots off people say that in 2.0 they dumbed down the browser. Especially on the third party cookie thing, maybe Mozilla was in cahoots with some parties that rather saw this changes brought in. Anyway In about:config, change this line: network.cookie.cookieBehavior to 1. And install TrackMeNot this time.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 09:30:39 PM »
To accept cookies from the originating site only...

Type "about:config" into the address bar in Firefox 2.0, and hit enter.
Scroll down to "network.cookie.cookieBehavior".
Set value to "1"
(If accepting cookies from the originating site was your preference is 1.5, it may already be set to "1" as part of the transfered user set.)

Thanks, yes the settings were carried forward from 1.5, that is a really poor decision to leave this out of the cookie settings when it was in the previous version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 09:40:47 PM »
Hi DavidR.

Anyway I hope the add and edit cookie add-on will be updated for FF 2.0.3 soon. There you could tamper what is being sent or the time the cookie expires or whatever. Tamper data can do that too, but that is not an extension for the light-hearted. But one thing in the routines of this world I have escaped to understand, when something is good and functional, why do they have to change and not always for the better. So when someone finds his or her favourite beer, it is time for the maker to take it from the shelves. Haven't you also experienced these ways of reality. There must be some dark dumb force that is into this.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »
Show Image (0.4.1)
Show Image has been updated to 0.4.2
See here:
http://showimage.mozdev.org/
Although it shows it has been updated there is no download link for it yet the oficial ShowImage page still shows 0.4.1. But as TedNelly mentions it is easy to do a temporary hack to get it to work. No guarantee how it will effect ff 2.0 though.

@ Bob
Yo will get a strip across the top of the web page click the button and add mozdev.org to the allowed list of sites to download and try it again, but not much point unless the download is 0.4.2.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 10:06:42 PM »
Well lots off people say that in 2.0 they dumbed down the browser. Especially on the third party cookie thing...

From this thread, we know how to set the default in the about:config file to accept originating site cookies only.

Since the majority, if not all of the third party cookies are for advertising and tracking, and most of us use Adblock Plus, why would you need the option of accepting third party cookies?

Just curious...

Edit: Might this be Mozilla's reasoning for dropping the option as well?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:14:19 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 10:35:22 PM »
But as TedNelly mentions it is easy to do a temporary hack to get it to work. No guarantee how it will effect ff 2.0 though.

Personally, I'm not a fan of hacking extensions. Unless the loss of an extension was causing me to contemplate suicide, I could probably wait until the new version is approved by Mozilla.

That's one thing I like about open source products. The extension writers seem to jump right on new versions. If the author gives me the option to download it from his website because it's in line to be approved by Mozilla, fine. Otherwise, the prudent decision might be to just wait.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I do check the Mozilla forum often to get the latest info on extensions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »
Well I converted two Translate, which if you click the view home page you get redirected and no link there for translate extension. So I probably have the last version, which may not get updated. I also did the same for FasterFox because on dial-up I need all the help I can get, in the short time I was without it I did notice a slight slow down. Both are working fine, but it is very much a user beware/risk.

I check for updates daily and also check the extension home page also.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 11:13:12 PM »
^,

I see that "Translate" has not updated yet.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/181/

But, there's another extension called "gtranslate" that apparently has.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/918/