Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 and Extensions  (Read 26370 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox 2.0 and Extensions
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2006, 09:24:11 PM »
No news on ShowImage although I did the hack for that and it is working with 2.0.
I went back and tried again right after my last post yesterday, and it downloaded-installed just fine.  Oddly, still nothing via Tools/Add-ons, but going right to the site for it worked fine.

Thanks Mike, I've got the ShowImage 0.4.2 update now, same here nothing on the regular check for updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Marmot

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »
I've responded to the original story at ZDNET: it's a pretty atrocious piece of journalism

I just read the responses to this article on ZDNET.

People are hammering this guy into the ground like a tent stake.

I don't think information about memory leak is just a personal opinion.  The life of open-source is open information.  Fan psychology is a threat as well as commercial journalism, which is why I introduced the link from Slashdot.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 12:23:19 AM »
I don't think information about memory leak is just a personal opinion.  The life of open-source is open information.  Fan psychology is a threat as well as commercial journalism, which is why I introduced the link from Slashdot.

Agreed, and thank you for the link.

I don't know if the following update was posted before or after you set your link to the Slashdot article:

"Update: 10/30 12:57 GMT by  KD : Jesse Ruderman wrote in with this correction...

The article claims that Firefox 2 shipped with a known security hole This is incorrect; the hole is fixed in both Firefox 1.5.0.7 and Firefox 2. The source of the confusion is that the original version of this report demonstrated two crash bugs, one of which was a security hole and the other of which was just a too-much-recursion crash. The security hole has been fixed but we're still trying to figure out the best way to fix the too-much-recursion crash. The report has been updated to clear up the confusion."

Regarding the "too-much-recursion" crash. As you can see from Jesse's response, Mozilla is certainly aware of it. (There are also a couple of threads on the Mozilla forum regarding this.)

As I'm sure you would agree, no product is ever complete. Never, ever. There's always something that needs to be refined. The road map to the release of 2.0 has been around for a long time, so I respectfully disagree with your original post, that Mozilla rushed to market.

Frankly, if a fix can be found, I have complete trust in the 100s if not 1000s of volunteers devoted to Firefox to come up with it. Unlike the majority of Microsoft employees, who work for a paycheck, these people must really love the product to devote so much time to it.

Regarding my response to FWF, which you quoted. In my opinion, the guy was simply looking for a "hook" to get readers to his books and other products. A simple Google search reveals the business he's truly in.

The article was ill prepared, not well researched, and in some cases, his "facts" were flat wrong. As a reward for publishing the article, he has been taken to the woodshed by many, and thumped. Next time, I hope he'll think before he types.

By the way, I'm not a rabid fan of any specific open source product. But, I'm a great fan of the open source concept. If something comes along that's better than Firefox, I'll move on. Same with Thunderbird. In fact, it's on my to do list to download the windows version of Evolution to take a look.

I'm also looking at a recently received disk from Ubuntu for Dapper Drake, that's sitting on the corner of my desk. That will be installed and updated on my new HP box, that they're currently building, sometime over the Christmas break.

I've also downloaded, and have started to read the documentation on Nvu, so I can finally dump FrontPage, which I use to maintain my website.

When all of that is installed, it's goodbye to Microsoft. Something I promised myself way back in the Netscape - IE browser war days...

Thank you for your comments.

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:27:24 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:43 AM »
Here's another reveiw of the two latest Browser updates:
Internet Explorer 7 vs. Firefox 2

Remember, this is a review posted on cnet.com. Not my personal opinion.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 08:10:51 AM »
Hi Bob3160,

While I still prefer Flock to FF, but that is a personal feel, I want to emphasize that with IE 7.0 there was NOT a complete overhaul of IE 6.0. This again is postponed until IE 8.0. That is the disadvantage of a large platform, the ailment is called "backward compatibility", but this ailment also means backward compatibility in  flaws and holes. There are holes in IE 7.0 that go back all the way to IE 5.0., and were never fixed. In other ways we are pressed forwards by MS to grow and upgrade, on the other way the browser upgrade can be  partly seen as "vaporware" again.
MS made a "stand-alone" by design fit to the Internet, with NT they got a decent and secure design, why did not they do the same with their browser, but I think they are too busy doing other things.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »

I have no problem with anybody writing about problems they have with Firefox. My objection to the ZDNET article is that the supposed "popular gripes" come word for word from one person's blog.

"Popular" means liked, enjoyed or supported by many people (Cambridge Dictionary), so where is the evidence that these are popular gripes? The blog links to another blog which mentions problems with Firefox freezing; four people post comments saying they have the same problem. (It's worth noting that the blog was posted while Firefox was still in beta.) In support of other claims, the blog links to a forum thread where one person has a problem with the history list, and another blog which doesn't like the way FF 2.0 handles RSS feeds.

This is a grand total of eight people. By any stretch of the imagination, this is not a list of gripes "supported by many people", and to call it so is an act of journalistic dishonesty.

My other point was to question why the opinion of one blogger is especially valuable. Why does this blog deserve to be given publicity on ZDNET and now Slashdot? Has anybody actually heard of Listvine? Is his or her opinion any more valid than, say, a random citizen selected from the local bus stop? Why does this person's FUD deserve to be spread round the internet?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

galooma

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2006, 11:38:03 AM »
hate to rain on the parade , im as big a fan of FF as any but it seems a new problem is emerging. :-X
http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-5633

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »
hate to rain on the parade
http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-5633

And when this one is fixed, there will never be another one in Firefox again. Right?

From five posts up this thread...

"As I'm sure you would agree, no product is ever complete. Never, ever. There's always something that needs to be refined."

Thanks for the heads up, I can't wait for your next post on a glitch in Firefox.

Edit:

Sorry, my response was too harsh. Just one of my pet peeves. In my opinion, it's a waste of time and bandwidth, to report every little glitch in a program. If it's a really serious problem, there will be numerous news articles referring to it. Read and react as necessary.

As for the balance of the glitches, people just need to keep their programs updated, and they'll be fine. Things are always being fixed. It's a never ending process.

My apologies.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:26:56 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »
Hi malware forum,

The add & edit Cookie add-on ported for FF 2.0 is here:
http://home.tula.net/cbin/addneditcookies-0.2.2.0.xpi

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »
Should have mentioned this earlier. This is a great way to follow what's happening in the development of Firefox, including discussions on bugs, extensions and themes.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/StatusMeetings

Also, here's the latest list of Add-ons in the queue (from the 10/24 meeting). I'm sure there are more that have been added, and many of these have been released, but I don't see a more current list.

Check a release date on the Add-ons page for one of these items, and then compare to this list. It should give you a pretty good idea, as to the lead time to release:

http://people.mozilla.com/~chofmann/addons/review-priority.txt

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:58:23 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the links OrangeCrate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2006, 06:38:07 PM »
^, You're welcome.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2006, 07:19:48 PM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:17:33 PM by OrangeCrate »