Author Topic: Firewall  (Read 38004 times)

Cactusjack

Re: Firewall
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »
O.K. I understand that i now have the Free KERIO Firewall,and i hold him.
i should not take the Comodo.
Thank You for the support!!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 09:24:52 AM »
Reading this thread ... now I really do think Comodo is worth a try.

Cactusjack

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 10:03:44 AM »
You said TRY it.
But PAUL (message2) should never recommend Comodo.
And Nick have olso this meaning,so why should i change me Kerio
for Comodo.
True, its a nice programm,but the experts says take not Comodo.
If comodo whit a new version better is than the Kerio,then i am the first
to download COMODO. O.K.?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 10:21:37 AM »
I was speaking for myself and my intention to try it. 

I have not seen any expert opinions ... just posts and reported emails from an unknown individual - I suggest they have as much value as any other posts in the thread.

galooma

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
I would also recommend to anyone to try comodo as well as any other firewall they might feel suits them .
at the end of the day the best protection comes from a hardware firewall rather than a software one.
A little read from an expert who has his own opinion about software firewalls and their merits
http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html
Edit, the link is dead but here,s an excerpt...
...If you want to play with a piece of windows software that makes you click all over the place, there's always minesweeper.

If you'll feel safer sleeping at night knowing there's a 'personal firewall' running on your system, then install one. As long as you pay no attention to the "hack attacks" it reports it's better than nothing. A free one, ideally, as few of them are worth paying for. Turn off all the alerts and logging - you'll just waste your time (and, more importantly to me, my time and the time of other network administrators your complaints go to) increase your blood pressure and provide no benefit to you. If you really want to leave them turned on and see where traffic is coming from, feel free, but remember that most of the traffic you see is harmless, and that even if it isn't harmless it can't affect your system (if it could, it wouldn't be logged). Oh, and try not to waste admins time with frivolous complaints...

good luck  ;D
Link to a review on CPF I was involved in when it was first released http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.msg151965#msg151965
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:38:02 AM by Cloussau »

mauserme

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »
And i look on the Forum off Comodo,and there is a heavy discussion
about COMODO Free? Forget it,or it is true or not, this is nice to follow it.
Comodo said it is not true,but costumers says No its a TRIAL.

I have Comodo installed on 6 computers.  On one of those the program reported that the trial period expired after about one month of use (I didn't pay attention to the exact time frame).  Re-registering solved the problem.

Cactusjack

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 03:21:37 PM »
MAUSERME,6 compu"s whit the COMODO Firewall and how are they
running?
So let me forget the comodo forum,becourse you have no struggles.
But how long do you use this Firewall and have you complains?
Maybe i ask to much,but you are user,and so  the only one on this
forum(i think)with 6 comp"s,so you can say COMODO is good or not.

mauserme

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »
I started using Comodo on single computer about 3 months ago (mostly because of Tech's continued recommendation) and have slowly rolled it out to the others.  The most recent installation is 30 days old today.  Other than that one small glitch with the registration it's been problem free for me.

If I have any complaint about Comodo I could wish for better logging options but, as Cloussau pointed out, that can be as much a curse as a blessing.

I can only compare Comodo to Jettico, Zone Alarm Free and ASahmpoo Firewall as I have little or no experience with Sygate, Kerio, etc:

I tried Jettico several months ago and at that time the pop-ups were endless.  It never settled into a mode where it recognized what should and should not have internet access.  I got rid of it after a week.

I've been a Zone Alarm fan for  a while but lately I don't like some if the changes they've made.  For example, ZA logs every program opened even if it doesn't want internet access.  This makes working with the program control a little cumbersome.

I was also very excited about AShampoo when it first came out becuase it's so light on resources.  But it caused boot problems on several machines that I couldn't resolve short of uninstalling it so I gave up on it after the first 3 revisions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »
This is the reacting from COMODO
I don't think this is a reaction... this was the first statement from the Comodo staff...

So there are costumers who said that the first month a trial is.
Well... the costumers here can say whatever they want... but the reality is:
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 06:28:45 PM »
4U, Tech: that's what he wrote.
* If you allow ALL TCP Out to Any address, Any port you can download CureIt, but you won't get an alert about high ports in COMODO.
* If you restrict remote ports (21, 80, 90, 443, 5190) then you cannot download CureIt and you will see an Outbound Policy Violation log. No alerts however.
* If you allow the addresses above, you can download CureIt, but you won't get an alert about high ports in COMODO.

It's very strange also that there are no application logs. Only Netmonitor (packet logs).
I've posted in Comodo forums... I'm not an expert to answer these points...
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3687

6 compu"s whit the COMODO Firewall and how are they running?
I have three running smoothly  8)

mauserme

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
Well... the costumers here can say whatever they want... but the reality is:
I agree with Tech - Comodo's stated intent is "free for life". 

Other than having experienced an expired key once I really don't know what's going on with that.  I'm sure they'll get it worked out.

Cactusjack

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 11:30:04 PM »
This evening look i in me email and guest what?
Sunbelt Kerio write to me that i have 21 days for updating to
the Pro version. This Trial running 30 days in full mode,so sign and Pay.
I write a email back and i have SunbeltSoftware told that i
the Free Kerio have running,becourse i use the Kerio for 4 months,
earlier this year.
Then i write that the COMODO Firewall Free for life is,and even better.
Yes a litle press on Sunbelt for olso a Free for life version.
So i am waithing on a message that i can get the Full Kerio Free for life.
I can not whait

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »
You can use Kerio free for life. But not the full version. This is stated in Sunbelt website.
The free version has limited features (specially privacy ones). But the free version works and protects very well anyway  :)

Cactusjack

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 09:51:02 AM »
You can use Kerio free for life. But not the full version. This is stated in Sunbelt website.
The free version has limited features (specially privacy ones). But the free version works and protects very well anyway  :)
Yes i know this,but i try SunbeltSoftware to think about the Kerio Firewall
and olso this Firewall Free For Life to make.

NickGolovko

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
4U, Tech: that's what he wrote.
* If you allow ALL TCP Out to Any address, Any port you can download CureIt, but you won't get an alert about high ports in COMODO.
* If you restrict remote ports (21, 80, 90, 443, 5190) then you cannot download CureIt and you will see an Outbound Policy Violation log. No alerts however.
* If you allow the addresses above, you can download CureIt, but you won't get an alert about high ports in COMODO.

It's very strange also that there are no application logs. Only Netmonitor (packet logs).
I've posted in Comodo forums... I'm not an expert to answer these points...
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3687

Tech:

I know that it was your duty to post the info at COMODO forums, but the info was a personal message, and I had a not quite pleasant conversation with Paul recently. ;) Please ask the person who posted an info like that, before republishing it. :) Thank you. :)

P.S. I am also not correct in this case, but you know what personal message is. :)