Author Topic: Trouble Removing Norton Antivirus  (Read 8619 times)

jujubee

Trouble Removing Norton Antivirus
« on: January 03, 2006, 02:06:48 AM »
Hello. I need help removing Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0 (piece of junk!).

I had noticed that the resident scanner was not loading up in the tray when Windows started. When I went to Start-->Programs-->Symantec Client Security-->Symantec Antivirus, I get a message saying that "savrt32.dll is missing, please re-install product." Then the program closes

I decided I wanted to delete Symantec from my computer and use primarily use AVAST. So when I went to Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, Windows Installer pops up and gives a message "Preparing to install." When it can't find the installation files, which I keep on a Zip disk, it says that "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." I click cancel and it gives me a message saying, "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

Basically, I am unable to uninstall Symantec Antivirus.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this? I heard Symantec puts so much junk in your registry. Can I re-install it when I haven't uninstalled it and then try to remove it?

Please help, because I would like to use AVAST as my primary antivirus and I don't want there to be any conflicts.

I am using Windows 98 with latest security updates from Microsoft.

CharleyO

Re: Trouble Removing Norton Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:36:31 AM »

A search at their site produced a results of 100. Perhaps if you go to this link below & scroll down the list, you can find which is best for you to use with your version.

http://search.symantec.com/custom/update/query.html?qt=remove+corporate+edition+9.0&context=hho&nh=10&st=1&hitsceil=100&filter=all&x=12&y=7

I hope this helps you ... good luck!    :)

jujubee

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 03:43:47 AM »
Thanks for the initial help CharleyO.

If anyone has very concrete advice on how to get rid of NAV CE, I would appreciate further help. I have some third-party programs that can technically delete NAV CE, but I don't know if they will remove all the traces from the Registry that may cause future problems/interference with other programs.

Mind you, I had a previous version of NAV CE before I updated to 9.0. I don't know if there are seperate Registry files for specific components that were in the previous version.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:32:41 AM »
Trouble Removing Norton Antivirus Ha you and thousands millions of others been there done that just like millions of others ;D
Sorry couldn't resist I feel for you but! you will be oh so happy when you finally rid yourself of the virus that is Nortons
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:34:22 AM by p3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:37:49 PM »
If anyone has very concrete advice on how to get rid of NAV CE, I would appreciate further help. I have some third-party programs that can technically delete NAV CE, but I don't know if they will remove all the traces from the Registry that may cause future problems/interference with other programs.

Mind you, I had a previous version of NAV CE before I updated to 9.0. I don't know if there are seperate Registry files for specific components that were in the previous version.

Concrete answer... well, I believe our CharleyO gave you one of the best answers possible... Norton official Web site has some nice tools for removing different versions of "Norton Hog Machine". Best possible way of removing it is to use those tools. Even as you said you had some older version previously installed, you can use all those tools (separatelly of course) and remove all traces Norton left behind. You do not even have to "dig" through Windows Registry to find leftovers (Highly recommended not to touch it if you are not familiar with what you are doing btw) because I am sure after removing all traces with those little tools, avast! will work perfectly. I've done it million of times on my friend's computers and none of them ever had a single issue. It is simply not true that is so difficult to get rid of Norton (despite people tend to believe differently, or maybe Norton uninstallation tools just became better with the time spent on developing... it's more like anti-Norton propaganda... I am not working for Norton, just telling the facts). People just like to rush into things...

So, to resume... Best advice CharleO already gave you... use those utilities and you will be fine, trust me.

Happy New Year !

EDIT: Some direct links...

Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Manual removal of NAV 2004:
::: MANUAL REMOVAL OF NAV 2004 :::

EDIT2: And I've just noticed no one noticed before that you are actually talking about Symantec Antivirus, and not about Norton Antivirus (Two completely different product created by the same company which name of couse is Symantec).

Hello. I need help removing Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0 (piece of junk!)

I am sure some searching on Symantec web site would give you some directions for downloading uninstallation utility for your version of antivirus.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 01:11:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
Hi jujubee,

This is a good link to get the uninstaller:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22098

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
Polonus, that link is for Mac OSX I believe...

Quote from the site:
Product Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.1 or higher
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

timcan

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »
It is simply not true that is so difficult to get rid of Norton (despite people tend to believe differently, or maybe Norton uninstallation tools just became better with the time spent on developing... it's more like anti-Norton propaganda... I am not working for Norton, just telling the facts).
Sasha,I agree being a former NIS user of several years I had no problems uninstalling norton.It's not just here but on many forums.Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 02:57:59 PM »
You can try this tool, but I don't know if it would include the Corporate Editions.

This is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jujubee

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi guys, I think I may have found out why I am having this un-install problem. Can one of you take a look at this and tell me how can I fix it and where I must go to make the appropriate changes.

I have Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0 installed (I upgraded from a previous version), but under one of my programs that list programs that I have installed, it lists the previous version. I'm also trying to get rid of Counterspy sinec the trial version is done (I could have sworn I deleted that before, but its showing up in Add/Remove programs)

Possible cause for un-install problem?

Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.6.1.0000 ({BD12EB47-DBDF-11D3-BEEA-00A0CC272509})
         version: 117833729
 version (major): 7
 version (minor): 6
  estimated size: 155118
    install date: 20040627
  install source: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\$NAV$\
   uninstall cmd: MsiExec.exe /I{BD12EB47-DBDF-11D3-BEEA-00A0CC272509}
       publisher: Symantec Corporation
       help link: http://www.symantec.com
  help telephone:

CounterSpy 1.0.290 ({989273D7-54A6-4E33-84A8-9FCEC33169EA})
         version: 16777506
 version (major): 1
  estimated size: 55003
    install date: 20050703
install location: C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\
  install source: C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{329B5A4E-1209-4D9D-A015-420FA7939432}\
   uninstall cmd: MsiExec.exe /I{989273D7-54A6-4E33-84A8-9FCEC33169EA}
       publisher: Sunbelt Software, Inc.
       help link: http://support.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php
          readme: C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\readme.txt

Is the solution as simple as changing the I to a U? If so, where must I go to make this change?

jujubee

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 05:07:27 PM »
And thanks guy for the prior help. I also am aware of those tools (SymRT and RNAV2003), but I am hesitant to use them since I don't know whether they will remove Corporate Edition 9.0

By the way, I think I'm being a little harsh on Norton/Symantec. It's just that Corporate Edition never really worked well on my Win 98 (in fact, I don't think that 9.0 was even meant for Win 98). I always had problems with the LiveUpdate, and the real time scanner was somehow interfering with my volume control/sound card.

Anways, I'm just glad to be using a better product thats more stable and has a lower memory footprint!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 05:30:39 PM »
And thanks guy for the prior help. I also am aware of those tools (SymRT and RNAV2003), but I am hesitant to use them since I don't know whether they will remove Corporate Edition 9.0
You don't need to run it to see if it works. Check the link it doesn't automatically download, check if it includes removal for your version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Valharus

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »
;D

Well, huh, check this out... I know that I made a mistake SOMEWHERE, but wonder now how to fix it... The story goes as follows:
From both my PC's I removed Norton Internet security using add/remove, remove incl. all other Symantec products that appeared there...
After that, I installed Avast Home, latest version, and from the start, on 1st PC everything was just fine while on the other one  Avast refused to load p2p shield, standard shield and IM shield... Alright.. I ran RegCleaner and Registry Mechanic, manually removed all traces of symantec from Hard drive, browsed through Registry in a search after norton and symantec keys.... Rebooted.. Didn't work... Then I came to this forum, found some suggestions and followed them, ran NRT, rebooted... In vain, again... I uninstalled Avast then... ran Avast remove tool, ran NRT again, just to be sure, rebooted clean, installed Avast again, and what was there for me? The same message as before! Avast couldn't load resident system shield etc.  due to Norton anti virus being detected!!!!! Where!? How!? I'm even thinking of reinstalling Win(shit) XP SP2 altogether... but only as a last resort... someone mentioned before how ppl will be happy when they finally get Symantec products out of the their PC system... well, I know that I will be!

Help!!!!!

PS. I even found Symantec shared DLL's and removed them from registry and hard drive, those were left  after NRT... together with the few keys on what runs on system boot...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:30:21 PM by Valharus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:38:27 PM »
Valharus, you've double posted.
Please, follow here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;topic=24595.0
The best things in life are free.