Author Topic: windows security says my antivirus not updated  (Read 3489 times)

original

windows security says my antivirus not updated
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:26:10 AM »
hi all. 

please help this computer illiterate.   :(

today the windows security center (i have windows xp home) tells me that my virus protection isnt up to date.  so i opened up my avast 4 .7 and notice that "current version of virus database is 10/27/06 0643-8". 

is this the most up-to-date database?   Those w/same avast as me, can you please check if your last update was 10/27? 
 i looked at http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html and it says 10/30/06 was the most recent update.  i am assuming this is for the version of avast that i have?  If so, why didnt my avast automatically download it?

pls. help this computer dumb-dumb.  thank you!   the last thing i want is a virus (such horrid past experience with computer repairmen!!!).

d.

Spiritsongs

Re: windows security says my antivirus not updated
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:38:46 AM »
 :)  Hi :

Occasionally I do NOT get the Definition File "Update"
      automatically; just RIGHT-click on the Avast icon in your
      System Tray, select "Updating", then "AVS Update".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:40:16 AM »
First, a simple thing, check your system time and date, carefully, are they ok?
If so, you could follow a not so simple instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457  ;)
The best things in life are free.

original

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:59:40 AM »
spiritsongs:  thank you!!!  i just did what you suggested and it update.  this hasnt ever happened to me...for a second there i was scared i had a virus.  any small weird runny thing that my computer always makes me run scared.  thanks again and good karma to u.

Tech,   thank you!  i kept your link for future reference.  i think that is what probably made avast not update correctly.  i had to manually change the date/time back on Sunday b/c of the one hour time change (which is weird b/c my computer usually does it automatically and i did click 'adjust daylight savings time").   
oh, one last question if you dont mind:  do you think my computer is ok?  i placed my computer on stand-by and when i typed certain letters, some other differ character would come up (like when i type "c", "3" would show up instead.  i think this happened after i updated avast.  then when i re-started the computer, all is back to normal (hence me typing this to you).   i'm running avast anti-virus now as i type this.   What do u think is going on or it's nothing to worry about?   Sorry for asking so much.... i get so worried!   :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:57:10 PM »
Original, run a full avast scanning (archive included) and see what you get.
Maybe you want to schedule a boot time scanning.

Good will be if you can run a-squared or  superantispyware or any other trojan detector/remover to see if you're clean  ;)

original

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »
hi Tech and all,

thank you again for your quick reply.  *drum roll*  oh gosh, this such a mess!   :'(  

i just ran thorough avast w/archive files and there were about 5 infected by win32 that i moved to chest as avast suggested.  

however at end of the avast scan,  i got the 'results of last scan' box.   there were more files that werent able to scan. ...about 20-30 files of these  are C:\program files\lavasoft\...bmp stuff.  The result of this reads: "unable to scan:Ar".  Also, 3 files like c:\documents and settings\.....\search[1], etc  also couldnt be scanned and the result says "unable to scan: G".

ok, that's still not all my problems.   :'( :'(  one are c:\windows/hewlett-packard\\...\binary.newbinary2  came out as "error occured during moving file to chest...however, another file that was also infect c:\system volume information\..\binary.newbinary2  could NOT be moved to chest.  

i also got this pop-up from windows saying:
windows file protection
files required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.  to maintain system stbility, windows must restore the original versions of these files.  insert your windows xp home edition cd-rom now.  

oh gosh, what am i going to do????   :'(

Can i still save my stuffs in this external hard drive (i still have to install cd) if i have to system restore everything??!!!!   would these infected files be screwed up w/if i do this?   i want to cry!   :'(  i dont want it to end w/system restore, so please help.  (sorry for the drama....i hate computer problems!).

thanks for your help in advance.  

d

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:14 PM »
i just ran thorough avast w/archive files and there were about 5 infected by win32 that i moved to chest as avast suggested.
Can you check the name and the path of that infected files and post here?
Open Chest and see their original location and file name.  

however at end of the avast scan,  i got the 'results of last scan' box.   there were more files that werent able to scan. ...about 20-30 files of these  are C:\program files\lavasoft\...bmp stuff.  The result of this reads: "unable to scan:Ar".  Also, 3 files like c:\documents and settings\.....\search[1], etc  also couldnt be scanned and the result says "unable to scan: G".
Certain files can't be scanned: are being used by other process, are password protected. The Lavasoft stuff seems ok, the other, who knows.
The only 'full' scan will be at boot time (see below).

i also got this pop-up from windows saying:
windows file protection
files required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.  to maintain system stbility, windows must restore the original versions of these files.  insert your windows xp home edition cd-rom now.  
oh gosh, what am i going to do????   :'(
Bad thing... this is a system file... use the Microsoft CD to replace the infected ones and follow:
1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.
4) Use a-squared, Free AVG Antispyware, SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator (trojan removers).

Can i still save my stuffs in this external hard drive (i still have to install cd) if i have to system restore everything??!!!!   would these infected files be screwed up w/if i do this?   i want to cry!   :'(  i dont want it to end w/system restore, so please help.  (sorry for the drama....i hate computer problems!).
Probably the System Restore folder is already infected. You won't be able to use it. You'll need to disable it and enable it again, loosing your restore points but cleaning the infected files there.