Author Topic: 4.7 on XP SP2: start up suddenly takes forever  (Read 13930 times)

mauserme

Re: 4.7 on XP SP2: start up suddenly takes forever
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 07:57:11 PM »
Is there any theme that does underline links the old-fashioned way rather than having them just coloured differently?
I never intended to hijack your thread so I've started a new one about underlining links in the General forum.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
Is there any theme that does underline links the old-fashioned way rather than having them just coloured differently?
No.
You need to use the commands:
Code: [Select]
[u][/u]to underline, or the commands:
Code: [Select]
[color=Blue][/color]to colouring  8)
The best things in life are free.

1st_Moon

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »
Of course I know about those commands, I also realized that posting before had a link. I just wish there would be no need to use them. IOW, maybe someone would change the forum's default themes back to normal behaviour.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »
Back to normal behaviour.
That is what I think is questionable... what is 'normal' here?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 02:00:10 PM »
Of course I know about those commands, I also realized that posting before had a link. I just wish there would be no need to use them. IOW, maybe someone would change the forum's default themes back to normal behaviour.

The forum pages aren't normal web pages because they use different code (BBCode, forum software, etc.) to standard HTML code so that people can make posts.

Because of the the tag that is usually associated with links, the <A> tag isn't present, that is what applies the default underline on links and also what allows scripts to change the effect, different colour, no underline, etc.

So without the <A> tags, the browser when it complies the code for the layout of the page it doesn't see any <A> tags so it doesn't apply the normal standard underline, or any other effect if there is a script on the page to change it.

Links in the forum pages (view page source) usually start with [ url ] (spaces to avoid code) a non-standard HTML tag. See this topic that goes into it in a little more detail http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24679.0 if you try using the using the forum underline command inside the [ url ] tag you will get some strange looking results ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:05:22 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

1st_Moon

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »
That is what I think is questionable... what is 'normal' here?  ::)

Well, I've been surfing since 1994 and ever since links were underlined. So I would consider this normal behaviour. I also don't think it's difficult to code a CSS that would apply an underline to the url-tag of this forum.