Author Topic: Newbie Question: Avast Pro  (Read 3146 times)

Soulweb

Newbie Question: Avast Pro
« on: November 05, 2006, 03:50:29 AM »
Hi!  I am a first time user of Avast.  I used Norton for 5 years.  But the new AV will not let me keep SpySweeper.  So I left Symantec and bought Avast Pro instead.  And so far, I am VERY happy I have! 

But I have a couple quick questions. 

1.  For the average user, like myself, should I use the VRDB?  Also, does this use any extra resources if I do use this feature?  As I understand it, it backs up a bunch of files in case one gets attacked?  Does this use a lot of space?

2.  My "Outlook/Exchange" process says it's "waiting for a subsystem to start."  is this because I use "Outlook Express" as my main mail client? 

Any other tips, tricsk, please point me in the right direction.  Thanks again!

mauserme

Re: Newbie Question: Avast Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 05:20:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum Soulweb.

Yes, you should use VRDB since it might help you repair infected files in the future.  If you set it to Generate VRDB When Computer Is Idle you won't even notice when it does use resources.  Its not exactly a backup.  Igor recently described it as

" ... a generic method, storing file parts that are often target of virus infections. So, it is capable of fixing even some brand new virus infections."

In regard to your second question you are right to assume it is waiting for Outlook.  Outlook Express or any other email client will not start this provider.

There are plenty of tips and tricks in the forum so my best advice is to stay awhile and learn as much as you like.  Use the search function and feel free to post any questions you have.  We're all here to help and to learn.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 06:51:59 AM »
VRDB will use very little resources once every few weeks.  It is not worth worrying about.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:41:47 PM »
1.  For the average user, like myself, should I use the VRDB?  Also, does this use any extra resources if I do use this feature?  As I understand it, it backs up a bunch of files in case one gets attacked?  Does this use a lot of space?
VRDB does not use resources when you're working (only will be built at screen saver time or when your computer is idle).
It just backup the necessary information (not the entire file) to restore executable files.

2.  My "Outlook/Exchange" process says it's "waiting for a subsystem to start."  is this because I use "Outlook Express" as my main mail client? 
Yes. The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook. The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.

Welcome abord  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
Any other tips,

Stay in the forum, you will learn a lot, while hanging around in this forum  :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Soulweb

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 07:24:49 PM »
Since the "Mail Client" is waiting for outlook, should I just disable it?  And does the "webmail" cover Outlook Express?  It seems it's monitoring my OE because when it does a send/receive I see a small icon show up.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 07:51:51 PM »
You can disable it, if you want. It doesn't really use anything just sitting there.

Yes Webmail scans OE and the icon you see is the webmail scanner.