Author Topic: Avast going nuts after today's update (solved)  (Read 17773 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast going nuts after today's update
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 04:06:23 AM »
Were some corrections made at Avast regarding some of these issues??
Alan answered in my turn...  ;)

I suspect his guess is as good as yours or mine.
The best things in life are free.

Will91

Re: Avast going nuts after today's update (solved)
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »
Hi everyone:

I followed the instructions for turning off System Restore and performing the boot scan.  After the boot scan, I did another scan (thorough mode) of the pc.  This time NO infected files were determined.  Thank goodness.  But, there were like 43 files that "could not be scanned".  Last night, there were only two or so of these files that came back with this message.  I'm not sure why there were so many more files that "could not be scanned" compared to last night's scan.  Maybe it is because I was using "thorough" mode rather than "quick" mode.

Anyway, i guess what I'm hearing here is that this is probably no reason for concern.  However, I am still curious about these files.  I looked at the log and as DavidR pointed out, indeed many said "password protected".  However, there were like five or so in my Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files\Content IE5  that said "GZIP archive is corrupted".  I have no idea what a GZIP archive is.  Any worries here folks??  Should I right click on them within Avast to delete or put them in the chest or leave them alone?  I tried to find the files but couldn't even find them using Windows Explorer even with "show hidden files".

Thank you.

Will91

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
I forgot to add that I clicked on Tools/Internet Options/Remove Temp. Internet Files before I did the scan so I don't know why it is finding any of these that is "can not scan".  Does that feature in IE not remove all temp files?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
avast also gives the reason why a file can't be scanned, you didn't mention why they couldn;t be scanned ?

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jcchev

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 08:32:47 PM »
Ever since yesterday morning (11/34) I'm getting an alert over and over about a TROJAN:  Win32.HAXdoor-GJ [Trj].  I click the button to send it to "chest", but nothing ever shows up as an infected file in the "chest". 

Can anyone help me respond to this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2006, 09:42:44 PM »
Well you can start by saying what is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?
What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0645-4 (see about avast!) ?
You say nothing shows up as infected in the chest - How are you accessing the chest ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security