Author Topic: Avast wiped my desktop files  (Read 1552 times)

Offline antenorhs

Avast wiped my desktop files
« on: January 04, 2021, 03:25:10 AM »
Hi, everyone!
I was installing an executable file (.exe) from a trustable source, when my Avast just asked my permission to allow this file to access my desktop. Of course I gave permission, since I know the source and it is a praxis thing. But when I allowed avast, my desktop files just disappeared and I tryed everything to find them.
here what I tryed:
- Search for my files inside "Users" folder;
- Search using spicific apps, e.g. everything, amons others;
- Search avast virus vault;
- tryed to recover files via Recuva, GetDataBack, Remo Recover, among others;
- Tryed to unhide everything using windows and third party apps;
- Tryed to recover my files table via cmd on maintenance reboot.

I'm starting to think avast hide the files or something like this, because even good apps to recover files aren't finding any trace of my files...
Does anyone have a clue on how to recover those files.

Offline strakl

Re: Avast wiped my desktop files
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »
I'm going to ask this question agaiin, like i did a lot of times already. How are you so sure it's avast's fault. It even asked you if you want to allow an app to access your desktop, and you did.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast wiped my desktop files
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
@  antenorhs

Following on from strakl's comments.

This certainly isn't normal practice for Avast to remove contents from a location unless you have got an Avast alert, which this message you stated ("Avast just asked my permission to allow this file to access my desktop") which is a warning not a definitive Avast Alert, you allowed the program access.

If this were an Avast function to remove the files (e.g. an avast alert) then they should be in the Virus Chest (you say they aren't), depending on your Avast Settings.

What you don't mention is this supposed "trustable source" today's trustable source, could be tomorrows hacked source, so trust is a very fragile thing. 

What is this source (and program downloaded) ?
Just the domain name no http, www, prefix, so the link isn't active and someone can check it out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security