Author Topic: PC Upgrade Question  (Read 3765 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
PC Upgrade Question
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:31:48 AM »
Ok I come from a world where ther PowerPC Processor ruled for more than 10 years.

So a question for you guys that have used x86 chips for the past 15 years

I have A Pentium 4 Processor in My PC. It has Hyper-Threading.

My Motherboard will not support the new Core and Core 2 chips but it Will Support the Pentium D Processor.

So what Kind of performance improvement Will I get from upgrading from 2 virtual processors (hyperthreading P4) to 2 actual processors(PD)?

Keep in mind this computer has one sole purpose, Games, and that is all it does I everything else on the mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: PC Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:53:01 AM »
Hope someone could help you... it's behind my knowleage and imagination. Sorry, Mac  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Negeltu

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 04:17:02 AM »
Well I know that some games suffer an fps drop if they are not optimized to use dual core.  You can set it to use one though.  I plan on upgrading to Pentium D 9xx series myself.  I'm using a Celeron D 352 3.2Ghz and an ATI X800 GTO with GDDR3 RAM and getting 30fps in Oblivion on average.  BTW you can get the X800 GTO on newegg right now for $87 if you are looking for a decent card. 

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »
I don't think that the Pentium D will show much improvement in current games performance solely because most games are not designed to be multi-threaded and take use of multiple processors.

I'm sure this will change in the near future, but I would rather get a Core 2 Duo Conroe.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »
xistenz, I also thought most games did not take advantage of Dual core that why I bought the pentium 4 about a year ago. (it does have HT though)

Negeltu, I have a nice card... Nvidia Geforce 6200 128Mb of memory

Tech, Dont worry I had no idea either what difference it made in the windows world (now I can tell you everything about Dual core in Mac OS X)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Negeltu

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 11:59:06 AM »
Oh..  doesn't that card only have 4 pixel pipelines? and 64bit memory interface or do you have the 128bit version? 

I chose the X800 GTO because of the 12 pixel pipes, 256MB GDDR3 and 256bit memory interface.  Just too good of a deal at $87 for me to pass up. 

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
I have the 128 bit version. And yes it only has 4 pipelines. Did not know the X800 was that good, I will look into getting one  ;)