Author Topic: Dirty dozen of Spam  (Read 1874 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Dirty dozen of Spam
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:31:58 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

The number of spam that is image spam has increased substantially over the third quarter of 2006. At the moment 40% of the spammers use images to circumvent spam filters. The bulk of these are so-called "pump-and-dump" scams, to forward adverts of promising "short stock". The idea behind these scan is  people buy the stock, while the spammer on the contrary sells them, so you are left with an IOU, while the stock gets criminally manipulated. They run no risks because of a "grandfathering" system that keeps the lid on the real issues.

The spam contains various layers of images, making each message uniquely stand out, and difficult to filter out. Moreover cybercrook-spammers ask firms to be in on the pump and dump scam.

During recent months America was the biggest spammer, followed by China. If you see continent-wise, Asia is the largest "spam relayer", actually good for 34% of all the spam, followed by  Europa with 31,9%. See for details here:

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/11/dirtydozq306.html?_log_from=rss

polonus
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 02:36:45 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Dirty dozen of Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
I have no problem with all image spam and MailWasher Pro, any that are all images I mark as Spam and are flagged for deletion. Some of it is also detected on the Origin of Spam databases, frequently from our friend SpamHaus's SBL/XBL databases, without me having to manually flag it for deletion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security