Author Topic: CPU and Memory Usage  (Read 1466 times)

Offline PamJ-2

• PamJ
    • The Perfect Word Transcription Service
CPU and Memory Usage
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:11:04 AM »
I updated to the latest Avast free version. I thought my CPU usage problem was fixed after that (yesterday), but not sure it is notw. And it seems the memory usage has gone up as well. But to be honest, I have no idea what it's supposed to be, only that it's higher than it has been and I'm having issues with pages loading on Firefox...sometimes takes forever. This has not been a problem before the last couple of days.

What should the CPU percentage and memory MB be for Avast when its not updating anything, not running a scan, and I'm browsing on Firefox with Outlook, Word, and Excel open?

Thanks in advance.
Windows 10 (64-bit). Avast Free 2010.2442 (build 20.5.5410.586); Malwarebytes Free 4.2.3.96;  Firefox 84.0.1; Dell Inspiron 3668

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: CPU and Memory Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:48 PM »
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:37:47 PM »
I updated to the latest Avast free version. I thought my CPU usage problem was fixed after that (yesterday), but not sure it is notw. And it seems the memory usage has gone up as well. But to be honest, I have no idea what it's supposed to be, only that it's higher than it has been and I'm having issues with pages loading on Firefox...sometimes takes forever. This has not been a problem before the last couple of days.

What should the CPU percentage and memory MB be for Avast when its not updating anything, not running a scan, and I'm browsing on Firefox with Outlook, Word, and Excel open?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I take it you already restarted your device after the update to the latest Avast Free.
Can you try to repair it, please? https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Repair-Antivirus
You can also disable the shields and see if that helps with Firefox - Right-click on the Avast Antivirus icon in the system tray > click on Avast Shields Control > select an optionhttps://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-shield-settings/

Offline PamJ-2

• PamJ
    • The Perfect Word Transcription Service
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:21:58 PM »
Yes, I had restarted my computer more than once after the Avast update. I did disable the shields, and that made a huge difference on Firefox.

Weird thing, too, though, was whenever I would right-click or just try to open Avast, it would take forever.

I've never used anything but Avast as my main anti-virus. I do have Malwarebytes but just for manual scanning.

When I checked for the version of Windows 10 (64) that I have, I noticed that the last automated update failed. I manually checked for updates, and there were some, so downloaded and install updated manually, and it worked fine. After this, and restarting my computer several times, now everything works perfectly and speedy, just like before all this started. (Current version of Windows 10 (64) is 20H2 and the build is 19042.685.)

It started three days ago, and was getting worse each day, online and with opening Avast...ridiculously slow. Updating Avast seemed to help for a few hours, but then it didn't and things actually got worse. Now, after fixing the Windows update issue, everything is working great...just hope it stays that way.

Maybe it was a combination of things; who knows. Just hope it stays fixed!   :)

Thanks!!
Windows 10 (64-bit). Avast Free 2010.2442 (build 20.5.5410.586); Malwarebytes Free 4.2.3.96;  Firefox 84.0.1; Dell Inspiron 3668

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 06:23:25 AM »
NP, thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0