Author Topic: Comodo Not Playing Nicely  (Read 26836 times)

LaFemmeMichele

Re: Comodo Not Playing Nicely
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »
Cactus My Friend,

The only language I'm fluent in is English. I can only begin to imagine the added challenges of typing & deciphering techno speak that you have conquered--well I might add! I rely on mime when attempting to communicate in another language--I'd be in big trouble online.  :)

justin1278

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 09:40:19 PM »
Re: the availability of a stable final release, rather than beta?

I've just had a look! I find this beta version with multiple known issues to be an odd solution!

Isn't the point of a resolution in this case a matter of becoming "issue-free"?

Hello,

The program I suggested IS a beta, beta means un-finished and can have bugs in it, however I suggested this beta as I thought you would like to see if it would solve your current issue, I guess this is not the case.

Before you jump ship again ;D sorry couldn't resist it, I suggest you wait and see what avast version 5 brings as I believe there is some behavioural functionality which could fall into the general categorisation of HIPS. I can't recall the details, but I suggest do a forum search for avast version 5.

No problem DavidR :D, I will promise you this, I will stay with avast! until Comodo is proven to be a better solution, however I 100% believe that Comodo Antivirus will surpass avast! just like their firewall surpassed all of the others :), but until that time comes I will stick with avast! because it is a proven solution ;).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:50:15 PM by justin1278 »

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 10:03:06 PM »
Justin,

I didn't install Comodo after reading the problems Avast users were having on your  forum. So even you must agree your offer of a beta release as a solution isn't viable. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 11:11:02 PM »
I didn't install Comodo after reading the problems Avast users were having on your forum.
For God sake... which problems? I have none... we can address the most of them so...

Comodo is not a beta  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 01:17:25 AM »
For what it's worth, I installed Comodo 2.3.6.81 weeks ago, shortly after it was released, and have had no problems with it's interaction with any other program, Avast home included.
I'm one of the lucky ones, too, then. (Maybe we're in a majority?)
The only shields not running (disabled) are instant messaging and outlook.
XP home SP2.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

justin1278

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 01:22:12 AM »
Justin,

I didn't install Comodo after reading the problems Avast users were having on your  forum. So even you must agree your offer of a beta release as a solution isn't viable. 

LaFemmeMichele,

I am having no problems with avast! and the current Comodo Firewall, but since others are I suggested you try the new beta version to see if it resolves the issue (because I assumed you were having these issues) however since you don't even have Comodo installed and are not willing to test the beta to try and help resolve some conflict some users are getting, I cannot help you any further.

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 01:26:55 AM »
Tarq,
   Thanks! So what do you think? Maybe the odds would be in my favor! Might as well give it a try. Wonder how well does CPF uninstalls? :)

Justin,
    Justin, Justin! I think it best that the Avast members experiencing the problems decide on an individual basis whether or not they'd like to try a beta version as a possible solution, don't you agree?
    I believe it wiser to start with the stable release, in light of the fact not all Avast/Comodo users are the having problems.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 02:02:51 AM by LaFemmeMichele »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 01:30:04 AM »
I'm one of the lucky ones, too, then. (Maybe we're in a majority?)
For sure... no problems here too  8)

How well does CPF uninstall?
No trouble.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 01:48:12 AM »
Sorry La Femme Michele, never had reason to uninstall it.. I notice the thread at the comodo forum hasn't been addressed in a week, can't imagine it's resolved itself or fizzled out, though.
I'm using 2.3.6.81. If you choose to install the Beta (not recommending that BTW) can you let us know how it goes, please. In fact, let us know whatever version you use.
"tis a curious problem reported, but I gathered it's about 7 people reporting it. (Hard to keep track) plus a couple more able to reproduce it. So maybe 9 out of how many hundreds? Or maybe thousands?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Phant0m``

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 04:19:07 PM »
I observed that a lot of people rather ditch the products then report and troubleshoot…

Then I can imagine many of those who are willing to report are discouraged when they see that the forums are members-only… And those who searches around for solutions probably have seen the couple of mentioned workarounds posted, and used instead of wasting anymore of their time…

And as for e-mails sent, you can’t say really what goes on there, but I can come up with couple of reasons why someone would be reluctant to report through e-mail even…

;)

Phant0m``

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
This is just a personal opinion but I feel it to be pathetic to see bug-fixes to be released in betas for security products, if a bug-fix is out there the developer should make it available shortly afterwards instead of waiting months for a new beta release…

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006, 06:11:17 PM »
This is just a personal opinion but I feel it to be pathetic to see bug-fixes to be released in betas for security products, if a bug-fix is out there the developer should make it available shortly afterwards instead of waiting months for a new beta release…
Fully agree... if the developer knows how to fix it  ;)

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »
Report back: I downloaded & installed Comodo (the stable release 2.3.6). I can see out IE 7 & FF. I'm one of the lucky ones it appears.

It seemed evident that there was no fix on its way & the Avast nonproblemic feedback I received here convinced me it was worth a try. Thank you Avast community.

I think the Avast members with the Comodo difficulties had to do one of two things:
   Change their AV
   Change their FW

I suspect the ratio of those with difficulties is significantly higher than what we see reported on the boards. Phantom's points are valid. People don't have time to screw around. They need Security & Internet access!

I hope Comodo at some point in time actually implements a fix for its bugs, so that all users have the option to use Avast & Comodo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:17:29 PM by LaFemmeMichele »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 10:43:39 PM »
I agree, but in my humble opinion...if there isn't a BIG bug, it sure can wait to the beta-release. But big bugs should be fixed asap...if the developer knows how to fix it...as Tech said. Sometimes fixing a bug can be a long process, and not just "hit the red button, and the bug is gone" ;)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 10:48:15 PM »
I hope Comodo at some point in time actually implements a fix for its bugs,
I agree...and I am sure the Comodo Team want a bugfree product...so I'm sure they work as hard as they can to fix every bug they see :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon