Author Topic: Avast Finds Malware In Real Arcade Games?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline EBathory

Avast Finds Malware In Real Arcade Games?
« on: November 14, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »
Hello,

Two days ago I launched RealPlayer's Real Arcade and clicked on a game.  Immediately a warning from AVAST appeared that said it was infected with Win32.enumplus.exe  I checked other games and some (but not all) were supposed to be infected.

I ran the AVAST scan and these appeared (as well as some others) and they have been moved to the "Chest".  However, now I cannot play the games involved as the error message that a component is missing appears.

Real Arcade's Help file claims that some anti-virus software will find false positives occasionally that are supposedly linked to their games but are being mis-interpreted by the security software.  However, I find it strange that this has appeared just lately, as I play these particular games quite often.

BTW, none of my other security programs detected anything, including Spybot, Trojan Hunter, Ad-Aware etc.  However, I used to be able to occasionally run an online anti-virus program, Bit Defender, just to get a second opinion.  Now I'm getting a message that Bit Defender cannot scan my computer (no reason given).  I was finally able to run McAfee's Stinger, but only after numerous attempts.

I have a gut feeling that AVAST is correct regarding the malware.  There has been difficulty accessing some websites having to do with anti-virus scanning.  My inquiry to Real Arcade technical department has been sent and am awaiting their reply.  In the meantime, I thought I'd ask if any one here has had something similar happen or some other suggestions.  My computer contains the security software mentioned here as well as Spyware Blaster and McAfee Privacy Service.
 According to a web search, Win32.enumplus is quite serious, a hacker tool intent on cracking passwords, so naturally this is of great concern.
Thank you in advance.

P.S.  Forgot to put I'm running
Windows XP SP2 (kept current with patches)
Firefox 1.8
IE 6.0 (only when necessary)
Intel Pentium IV
1025 RAM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:36:54 AM by EBathory »
"Where I came from, no one knows.  But the place I'm going to, everybody goes."

galooma

Re: Avast Finds Malware In Real Arcade Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
if your concerns need re-assurance the best way is to scan the file at virus total or jotti multi scanners and see what the other major players think about it.
You will have to remove it from chest to scan with these programs

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

http://www.virustotal.com/

please post the results as others may like to know :)

pandammonia

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:38:47 AM »
Hey EBathory- (gr8 name btw  ;) ) I use this player quite often and have never had anything detect it as malware, so i assume it's ok.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:41:39 AM »
This should be able to help you:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.0
 :)
Al968