Author Topic: MSN virus/several trojans help?!?  (Read 36716 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: MSN virus/several trojans help?!?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 01:30:59 PM »
As Frank said it isn't a good idea to connect to the internet without a firewall, I will take it a little further, it is like playing Russian roulette with an automatic, without protection the time to getting infected is counted in minutes not hours. A firewall is an absolutely essential part of your system security, without it you will fight an uphill and probably a loosing battle to get your system clean.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential. Install the firewall now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
C:\\windows_e58.exe
  Latest version of the Alcan worm.  Removal tool and instructions can be found here  http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How_to_stop_and_undo_the_effects_of_the_Alcra_aka_Alcan_Worm-t98929.html  it sometimes adds the pe386 rootkit
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:57:07 PM by essexboy »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »
OK. I thought it was something nasty! The alcanshorty.BFU script has a line to delete the file:

FileDelete c:\windows_e58.exe

This HijackThis! entry can be fixed:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [windows] C:\\windows_e58.exe
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 03:56:19 PM »
Hi Pandammonia if you wish I can clean you up, but there is a proviso.  If I do help you, you must follow my instructions only and (sorry guys 8)) ignore all other posts.  If you are happy with that then post another HJT and we will get started.   8)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »
essexboy,

With respect, this forum doesn't work like that. Everybody is free to chime in with advice.

>:(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »
If you want to help exclusively, then I suggest you do it at geekstogo as people here who have freely given their help and time unconditionally especially Frank would be rightly annoyed to think there help isn't wanted (sorry essexboy  8) ), but that is the way this forum works  8)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
Besides that I have already spent considerable time this morning looking at pandammonia's log and giving advice:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24695.msg204450#msg204450

It seems to me she needs to try to uninstall SurfSideKick/DxcDirect from Add/Remove and we can't really give her any more advice until she comes back and tells us what happened and posts a new log.

If you have a problem with the advice I have given, you are free to post any criticisms and altenative advice.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »
No criticism intended just trying to help but sometimes conflicting advice can be confusing

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »
Hi essexboy and FwF,

Don't want to come into this, but can't you two see here why the PM functionality of this board is so severely missed? You would not have these situations. I'd always like to check on the right path to solve this in a PM whenever their is a slight difference of opinion, better for us, better for them. This the way I have learned a lot. Alas the PM's have been taken away. Shame that always the good have to suffer with the bad,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »
No criticism intended just trying to help but sometimes conflicting advice can be confusing

If you feel that way, there are other forums where you can offer help, as David said.

On this forum people wanting help will probably get advice from a number of people. The flip side of that is that everybody learns from the experience, including those trying to help. The advantages are that somebody will probably turn up with an answer, and what works will be passed to a large number of people who can then use the same advice to help themselves or others with a similar problem.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 07:14:07 PM »
I retract my offer

Apologies to all concerned

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 08:19:18 PM »
@essexboy

Accepted.

I'm sure everybody here appreciates the advice you have given and looks forward to further contributions- I've seen at least one thread recently where we'd've been stuck without your help.

@pandammonia

I found another removal guide here specifically for DeluxeCommunications. (Exactly the same company as SurfSideKick, just rebranded.)

The instructions are the same but with some illustrations which might help and a registry fix file which you should run if you find you have DeluxeCommunications.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic66364.html

pandammonia

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »
Umm, sorry! Didnt mean to cause tension. ???
I have put Kerio firewall on but now i cant download the FixDxc.Reg from bleeping computer for some reason? Will do the other stuff now, and post new HJT. (Should i b connected to net when running HJT?)

pandammonia

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »
Frank- Also just tried to do steps 4 & 5 as you suggested but its not in my program list and when i do the run option it tells me that it cant find them, make sure drive is connected properly, or they've been moved.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 09:35:26 AM »
You don't need to be connected while running HijackThis!

It looks like you'll have to remove SurfSideKick/DxcDirect with HijackThis!

When you post the log I'll check it again and let you know which entries to fix.