Author Topic: How do I remove the Avast ad in my emails?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline rhinosfl

How do I remove the Avast ad in my emails?
« on: January 11, 2021, 12:56:46 AM »
Can someone kindly remind me how to make the free version of Avast stop putting ads for itself in my emails and newsgroup posts? There used to be a setting for this purpose but I can't find it now....

I'm referring to this:
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I remove the Avast ad in my emails?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:18:36 AM »
Switch it off in the Mail Shield settings.

Avast Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields > Mail Shield - Add a signature to the end of sent emails.

That said, have you made any changes to your settings as I though this was off by default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rhinosfl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:42:58 AM »
Thank you very much! I've now turned off the generation of that ad. I swear, I looked at every one of the many settings TWICE looking for it but I see now that I didn't realize that Mail Shield and its peers had additional settings so I hadn't looked in those.

If it's default setting is off, then I'm at a loss to understand how it got turned on; I only just reinstalled Avast a week or two back after trying another product for a while. That setting was certainly off when I previously had Avast so that doesn't explain how that setting was on.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
I have never turned it OFF myself, so assume it is set ON by default.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »
Thank you very much! I've now turned off the generation of that ad. I swear, I looked at every one of the many settings TWICE looking for it but I see now that I didn't realize that Mail Shield and its peers had additional settings so I hadn't looked in those.

If it's default setting is off, then I'm at a loss to understand how it got turned on; I only just reinstalled Avast a week or two back after trying another product for a while. That setting was certainly off when I previously had Avast so that doesn't explain how that setting was on.

You're welcome.

It has gone through sone changes over time (I have been using Avast for over 16 years).  When it first came out I think it was on by default but for a time (recently) it was certainly off by default when there were complaints about it being on by default.

I thought that was still the case, as I haven't done/required a clean install for some considerable time and my previous settings haven't changed with in-program updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security