Author Topic: When do you delete item from Virus Chest??  (Read 7803 times)

2harts4ever

When do you delete item from Virus Chest??
« on: November 07, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »
Good afternoon,

I am using Avast! version 4.7 Home edition.

I have had a question on my mind about the Virus Chest for quite some time and decided to inquire about it before the situation actually arises.

If Avast! finds a virus and moves it to the Virus Chest what would my next step be and how do I go about it?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: When do you delete item from Virus Chest??
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:04:27 PM »
There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

You need to open the avast chest, start as if going to run an on-demand scan, click the menu and select virus chest, Infected Files, here you will find those files you sent to the chest. They can be rescanned from within the chest and deleted, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2harts4ever

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:14:02 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I appreciate the fast response and the knowledgeable answer.

The reason I asked the question is because I have always heard that a virus can attach itself to a file that you actually need for your computer to function properly and to be extra careful before deleting the infected file or folder.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »
My suggestions is simple Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate. After a period of grace you can be relatively sure that the file in the chest is a good detection.

Files with just a little tagged onto them when detected they may be able to be repaired. Only those where it may be possible will have the Repair option active (otherwise it will be greyed out). The repair works in conjunction with the VRDB function in avast, you should runs this shortly after installing and choosing how you want it to update (default duration 21 days). Referr to the avast help file, Healing.

The VRDB only protects certain files, .exe, dll and other system files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.

Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.

However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2harts4ever

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »
Hi again DavidR,

Another excellent answer ... thanks for a most informative and thoughtful reply.

I am saving your reply ... just in case ... lol

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
Your welcome.