Author Topic: Forced Advertising, Trying to get me to buy more programs  (Read 1613 times)

Offline thomas.holberg

Forced Advertising, Trying to get me to buy more programs
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Hi

I currently have Avast Premium Security and i am getting insanely annoyed with the constant attempts to get me to buy other Avast programs i dont want.
Every time i do a scan, the program (without me asking or giving me an option to opt out) scans for issues i have no interest in, like performance issues , "Advanced issues) and AntiTrack.

I mean i am paying for this...."premium" subscription...how is this even legal that you are trying to trick people into buying more programs from you by scaring people into thinking they need alot of extra programs to feel safe. I am a computer engineer and understand alot about internet security, but other people that dont can be easily manipulated into thinking they have a problem and need these programs.

Tell me how to stop this advertisment please

Thomas

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Forced Advertising, Trying to get me to buy more programs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:18:14 PM »
Every time i do a scan, the program (without me asking or giving me an option to opt out) scans for issues i have no interest in, like performance issues , "Advanced issues) and AntiTrack. 
I guess you use the smart scan? It is not that smart so dont use it

https://support.avast.com/en-ww/articleSearch/?searched=Scan

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:19:58 PM by Pondus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »
I currently have Avast Premium Security and i am getting insanely annoyed with the constant attempts to get me to buy other Avast programs i dont want. Every time i do a scan, the program (without me asking or giving me an option to opt out) scans for issues i have no interest in, like performance issues , "Advanced issues) and AntiTrack.
Hi Thomas, you can disable the ads in the paid versions: Avast GUI -> Settings -> Personal Privacy
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline thomas.holberg

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 03:08:03 PM »

thanks Asyn for that option, it resolves some of the issues i have.  But smart scan still tries to sell me programs.  I guess ill take Pondus suggestion and not use smart scan at all.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »

thanks Asyn for that option, it resolves some of the issues i have.  But smart scan still tries to sell me programs.  I guess ill take Pondus suggestion and not use smart scan at all.

Personally I would not run the 'NOT' so Smart Scan once only. 
I feel it is more a a vehicle to offer more paid products, the main areas of any real use are the regular virus scan, outdated programs and perhaps the WiFi scan, all of which can be run in isolation, so no damn Advanced Issues scan.

Ensure that you uncheck the Schedule Smart scan to run once a month option (enabled by default) after running or it will rear its ugly head in a month.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:05:30 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline strakl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
I'm not using the smart scan at all. That's why we have custom scans people :).