Author Topic: Problems after 4.6 update [Overlapped I/O Error, NNTP]  (Read 3689 times)

royhandy

Problems after 4.6 update [Overlapped I/O Error, NNTP]
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:34:34 PM »
Well I allowed the program to automagically update itself. 

I had been having problems accessing my home machine using RDP so I decided to check my settings before heading out this morning.   

I logged onto my router and saw a 'Deny Remote Desktop Protocol' entry which I wanted to remove.  I clicked on edit and found that I was unable to delete the entry.  So I decided to set it to be active from 0800 - 0805AM on Sundays.  I then clicked apply and got an error page referencing 'overlapped i/o.

I then turned off the web shield portion of Avast 4.6 and tried again.  This time the process completed successfully and my router rebooted itself as one would expect.

I have also noticed that now, when I attempt to use my newsreader to pull headers, a new icon appears in my system tray.  It appears to be a small envelope with a blue light.  This icon goes away when I shut down my newsreader.   While the icon is present in my system tray my newsreader crawls at an average of 0k per second.

Any idea what that icon is?

For now I have web shield turned off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 02:45:45 PM by Vlk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Problems after 4.6 update [Overlapped I/O Error, and NNTP Issues]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 02:49:49 PM »
OK, so there are 2 different problems.

1. WebShield and the Ovlerapped I/O in Progress error
2. NNTP related issues.

For 1., there's another thread very similar to this one (but no solution yet): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11364.0
What router do you have, exactly? Is the problem perfectly reproducible? Have you experienced similar problem on any other web page?

For 2., the tray icon is indeed avast filtering the NNTP traffic. The strange part is that you're saying that the newsreader crawls at 0kbps. So we'd need more info on this one too. What newsreader are you using? On which OS? Is the problem reproducible?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

royhandy

Re: Problems after 4.6 update [Overlapped I/O Error, NNTP]
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:56:01 PM »
1)  I am using the Dlink DI-514 router.  I can logon to the router with no problems.  When I attempt to use the web interface to change settings I get the Overlapped I/O error.   The problem occurred until I turned off Web Shield.  To be honest, I have not turned the Web Shield back on again to see if it just needed to be reset.

2)  I am using Powergrab 2002 version 2.4.  I see very evenly spaced spikes in activity with peak activity at  0.1k and average at 0.0k.  Operatng system is Windows XP SP 1.

So I have turned off the Network Shield, the Outlook/Exchange Shield, and the Internet Mail Shield.  Also, as previously noted, the Web Shield is not running.  I am now able to get a full speed connection to the NNTP server.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 07:21:58 PM by royhandy »

Jazhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 01:13:49 AM »
My newsreader is crawling since this last update as well.  Eventually the reader times out and dies.

Any ideas?

-Jazhawk

ghetto

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:03:08 AM »
I can't get my Outlook News Reader to get new headers either.  What up?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »
I can't get my Outlook News Reader to get new headers either.  What up?
Well, we need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.