Author Topic: Phone call from Avast ?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline emmos

Phone call from Avast ?
« on: January 23, 2021, 11:51:01 PM »
Hello Guys,
I got a strange call from Avast technical support team regarding detected viruses on my computer, they were calling me from 08009542155! I found an old post from 2019 on 'Who Called Me' website https://who-called.co.uk/Number/08009542155 - but nothing more. Is this a genuine AVAST number?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Phone call from Avast ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:04:48 AM »
Most likely a support scam. Did they speak english with Indian accent ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Phone call from Avast ?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:48:57 AM »
Hello Guys,
I got a strange call from Avast technical support team regarding detected viruses on my computer, they were calling me from 08009542155! I found an old post from 2019 on 'Who Called Me' website https://who-called.co.uk/Number/08009542155 - but nothing more. Is this a genuine AVAST number?

I would say that you have more chance of finding a Unicorn than this being genuine.

What avast version are you using ?
If avast free there would be even less reason you would get this kind of call, that would require some sort of paid support package, but again how would they make first contact.

1.  How would they know you had viruses detected on your system (as surely Avast the program would/should have alerted you). 
2.  This would imply that avast are able to detect a virus on your system (that the program hadn't) and somehow identify, you from your computer.
3.  Somehow link that to your telephone number, which I rather doubt that they even have (I can't see any reason why they would need it).
4.  That number is a UK one according to your link and I don't believe there is a direct or 3rd party support for avast in the UK. Not to mention the suspect history mentioned in the link.

This has scam written all over it.

Lots of scams like this reported, even one about Microsoft phoning you up to say you have a problem, and they would like to fix it by taking control of your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security