Author Topic: avast pro missing keylogger ?  (Read 8248 times)

Arsenic

Re: avast pro missing keylogger ?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 02:20:47 AM »
Hi David,
---
I have been waiting for SSM to mature a little more, when I last tried it there was no help file and it was somewhat difficult to work out how to configure it, too much like a black art (I like to know what is going on in the programs I use) and I didn't find the forum too hot. Perhaps time to take another look.
---

SSM did improve a lot.They update it on a regular basis.You have help files now :-) and it is not a black art anymore.You just need to go through the help files once or 2ce and you'll get the hang of it.Basically what you do is install it,reboot and protect the programs you use.If you are sure ur pc is clean u can use the learning mode, launch all ur fav applications..reboot and untick learning mode.After that ssm will throw a popup at you, with all the details u need  to decide if u want to allow or block, only when needed. If you are not sure and you don't want to use the learning mode, u simply launch your applications u use most, allow and after that "disconnect user interface".What this does is...block everything you did not allow..kinda like "block most" in outpost.

--
I looked at sandboxie and even went as far as downloading it, I still haven't got around to installing and trying it. I like the concept, but as a dial-up user (I need all the help a cache provides), I didn't like the fact that you lose the cache and bookmarks, etc. unless you set it up to save them to the real location. So I wasn't sure if this breaking out of the sand box might not be a weakness.
----------

Sandboxie comes handy when you want to surf the net and don't want no worries.You sandbox your browser...surf ur  "rear" off and then delete the contents of the sandbox.whatever u downloaded (malware,cookies and nasties will be stuck in the sandbox) :-)

With sandboxie you can do without dropmyrights and ur os will thank you for it ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 02:24:10 AM »
Thanks for the update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 03:07:53 AM »
 :)  Hi Arsenic :

A "keylogger" is NOT a "virus", so it should be no surprise that AV's did NOT detect it;
     that is why there are antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN programs . You never did say if your
    "keylogger" was "detected" by your existing Ewido, Spybot, or "Spyware Terminator" !?
     This would be a more appropiate "test" . I would NOT have the last 2 programs on my
     computer; much more reliable is the FREE ver of "SUPERantispyware" from :
     www.superantispyware.com .

Arsenic

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 03:31:19 AM »
Hi,
--
A "keylogger" is NOT a "virus", so it should be no surprise that AV's did NOT detect it;
--

A Keylogger is a "potential"nastie.Avast does detect some keyloggers.Other Avs,not so many, caught it.

--
You never did say if your
    "keylogger" was "detected" by your existing Ewido, Spybot, or "Spyware Terminator" !?
---

I turned off  ewido because I wanted to see if avast could catch it.

Ewido does catch that keylogger.

Anyway it was sandboxed and dealt with :-)