Author Topic: Comodo Personal Firewall problem with Stunnel  (Read 2611 times)

t_r_davies

Comodo Personal Firewall problem with Stunnel
« on: November 10, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »
Hi all,

I've recently installed Comodo Personal Firewall 2.3.6.81 and yesterday for some reason, avast! stopped scanning my incoming and outgoing mail which uses the Stunnel localhost loopback connection.  I removed and reinstalled CPF and it started working OK, but it again stopped this morning, for no reason that I can see.

I'm very pressed for time just now and unable to investigate in any more depth, so thought I'd post here quickly first to see if anybody else has experienced any similar problems.  I'll be able to dig into it properly over the weekend though, I suspect it may be a conflict between the CPF and avast! drivers, although why it should stop working suddenly is a mystery.

Seems rather embarrassing really, seeing as I'm the one who originally made the post on Stunnel and loopback connections a couple of years back (November 2004 IIRC), but it's got me stumped so far!  I've been absent from here since then (for reasons I can't go into) but I'm back now and willing to help with any Stunnel-related problems etc., once I've got my little bug sorted first, of course :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Comodo Personal Firewall problem with Stunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
I'm using Comodo and Stunnel with avast and no trouble on scanning inbound and outbound mail.
Is ashMaiSv.exe and Stunnel.exe allowed to connect the Internet into Comodo settings?
The best things in life are free.

t_r_davies

Re: Comodo Personal Firewall problem with Stunnel
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
Hi Tech,

Yes, I've explicitly added ashmaisv.exe and stunnel.exe to the permitted applications list and allowed them full unrestricted network access, but that hasn't solved the problem.  Even doing that AND turning on the certified application alerts to make sure they're not being blocked silently hasn't fixed it.

I've also just tried changing Stunnel to listen on my LAN IP rather than localhost, in case it's the localhost loopback causing the trouble, but that hasn't worked either.  Even changing the startup order of CPF, avast! and Stunnel doesn't seem to have any effect.

P.S. I forgot to say in my first post that I'm running Win2K SP4.

Cheers :D