Author Topic: Having trouble because of Norton  (Read 2257 times)

weezie

Having trouble because of Norton
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
Can someone out there help me please.   I had Norton on my fairly new computer and when it ran out I mistakenly downloaded Avast BEFORE uninstalling Norton.  When I did finally uninstall Norton it messed up my securty system terribly.  I cannot open several Windows functions (such as System Restore, Search, etc., etc., etc.)  My Google doesn't work properly, I cannot navigate around the internet, my EBay is messed up, my Windows Media Player is not functioning, and the list is endless.  It is so frustrating and I have written directly to Avast for help but they are not replying, and I can get to Norton because I can't get around the internet!!!!!  I am sure hoping someone can help me.  I am running Windows XP on a LAN and have downloaded Avast 4.7.   Thanks

tls

Re: Having trouble because of Norton
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:39:35 PM »
Good Norton removal instructions can be found in this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23089.0

I have removed Norton and installed avast on two computers this way.  If you were using Norton's firewall, you will need to replace that also.

weezie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!   I followed all the directions and my machine is working properly again.  Can't believe I did that to begin with!!!  Will remember this lession.

tls

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 06:35:10 PM »
Glad to hear all is well!  I have found the avast forums a great place to learn, and prevent problems.  Come back, use the "search" button to find the information you need, or just browse.  And welcome!

Terry