Author Topic: Conversion tool for Passwords (Mac)  (Read 16982 times)

Offline FForster

• Avast Team
Conversion tool for Passwords (Mac)
« on: January 29, 2021, 02:48:57 PM »
Hi,
we created a tool to help users of Avast Passwords for Mac migrate their data to other password managers. It currently supports Dashlane and 1Password. The content of the tool can be viewed within the Automator app on Mac for more transparency.

In order to convert your Passwords data, please proceed like this:

1. Export the data to a .json file.
- In the Avast Passwords menu item, "Import / Export"
- Select "Export to JSON"
- Choose the location for the file with exported passwords

2. Download and extract the attached ZIP file and open convert_avast_passwords
Download the tool from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/159HCEvf_shQAjsOuHe2sdB105WRZ2zYr/view?usp=sharing
Please note, this tool wasn't officially certified by Apple so when macOS asks about the app not being verified and to move the app to the bin click "Cancel". When macOS notifies you about the program not being from an identified developer then selection option "Open anyway" and confirm you want to open it again
- Once the conversion tool is opened please browse for the file exported from Avast Passwords
- Choose for which Passwords manager would you like to convert the date (Dashlane or 1Password)
- Select location and file name for the converted passwords, credit card numbers and secure notes

Once this is done you can use Dashlane or 1Password and import your data in one of these apps.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Florian
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 04:59:16 PM by K_Lesnik »

Offline tudor11

Re: Conversion tool for Passwords (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:51:38 AM »
Hello there,

I've been trying to convert my Avast Passwords from .json format into .csv (for Dashlane) however when I'm importing it into Dashlane it says:

"That file is either empty or not compatible. Please try uploading another .csv file."

Might it be that your tool uses an old format? This is the format they're giving as a template: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/usersupportcases.dashlane.com/faq/Chrome_Passwords.csv

I'd appreciate an answer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:53:57 AM by tudor11 »