Author Topic: Avast Causing Crashes - Interacting w either Malwarebytes or Windows Defender?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline larry.cohen0829

My Surface Pro 4 laptop has been completely reset with a new image from Microsoft.   However, this computer crashes regularly to blue screen.  It says DPC Watchdog Violation.   The 3rd party applications on this machine are:  1) Avast Premium Security, 2) Malwarebytes Premium, 3) Carbonite, 4) AVG Tuneup Utilities.

I am reasonably sure that Avast has something to do with the problem, because I also have a brand new HP laptop that is also crashing with the same exact third party applications.  In this case the error say ndu.sys failed.  It also says System Service Exception on this laptop.  In this case, the event viewer says "Error will updating to security product state on".

From reading on the internet, I strongly suspect that Avast is not working well with Malwarebytes.    If I put the executables and drivers from Malwarebytes on the Avast exceptions list, will that likely cure the problem?  Maybe I should also put Avast on the Malwarebytes Exception list as well?

I have a few articles that mentioned that Avast may not be working well with Windows Defender, but I do not really know.

Any suggestions, ideas, or hints to get these two laptops working would be appreciated.

Offline digmor crusher

If your using Avast, Defender should be de-activated so I can't see that as the problem.

You could try making exclusions in both programs, may work.

Read this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-dpc-watchdog-violation-windows-10,36200.html

Offline Dr Zyklon

I solved this problem by turning off web protection in Malwarebytes. There's more info here.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/265815-malwareytes-premium-breaking-ndusys/?tab=comments#comment-1417900

Offline Anam Sajjad

• Softwares
It is working well. You just need to trun off the window denfender. Because its ultimatly a defult anti virus.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Defender should be turned off automatically when Avast is installed.
Also see this:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
I have used Avast in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware for a long time. I have yet to experience any compatibility problems with this setup on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. I trust this combination of security products implicitly. There is no apparent impact on performance, even with very old hardware. It just works.

As far as I am concerned, Anti-Exploit is the jewel in Malwarebytes's crown. The changelog suggests that a great deal of effort is put into developing it and bugs are very rare.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline RedFan

I have used Avast in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware for a long time. I have yet to experience any compatibility problems with this setup on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. I trust this combination of security products implicitly. There is no apparent impact on performance, even with very old hardware. It just works.

As far as I am concerned, Anti-Exploit is the jewel in Malwarebytes's crown. The changelog suggests that a great deal of effort is put into developing it and bugs are very rare.
In fact if your using avast and enable hardened mode this works like anti exploit, so there is no need to use malwarebytes anti exploit...
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.