Author Topic: Questions on Avast Pro..  (Read 5263 times)

Straight Shooter

Questions on Avast Pro..
« on: January 28, 2004, 11:42:33 PM »
Well, I downloaded a sixty day evaluation of Avast Pro... Have a couple of questions...

1.  When I first install it, it asks me for the pop2 and smtp...I use TWO different ones.. How can I configure Avast! for that...

2.  How is Avast with Unpackers? Seems good to me...

3.  How would you say Avast is with trojans? With Spyware? With other malware? On a scale of one to ten, how far would you say Avast is from KAV?  Sorry to ask you this, but that's been bugging me...

I must say I am very impressed with it, and will probably buy it.. It runs very well, and I'm impressed with the proggie itself and the forum here... I will have to trial it a little longer... I tried the Home version a while ago... Can you point me out to the differences between the Home and Pro versions..?  

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Questions on Avast Pro..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 11:46:53 PM »
I don't believe any anti virus software is ment to deal with spy/addware. There are several programs I can recommend for that.
Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, hijackthis, cwschredder. Although they do overlap up to a certain point. I recommend to use at least Ad-aware and Spybot s&d to detect and remove spy/addware. I use Avast quite some time now and think it is terrific. I can certainly recommend to buy it.

Straight Shooter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 11:51:04 PM »
I already have Spysweeper... I was just asking... The only other AV I've seen that handles SOME spyware better than average is KAV.. I was making comparisons...

Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 01:16:36 AM »
KAV detects almost anything!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 02:01:30 AM »
I myself am quite impresses with Avast, and would consider buying the pro version as well. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see the answers to StraightShooters questions.

StraightShooter, how is the script blocker in Avast pro? Have you tested it at all? How does it compare with script blocking on other known AV's like Norton?

Thanks!

Douglas

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 07:35:39 AM »
1.  When I first install it, it asks me for the pop2 and smtp...I use TWO different ones.. How can I configure Avast! for that...

That's no problem. The servers you typed in are the default ones, ie. the ones that avast picks when no other were specified. Otherwise, the mail scanner can (starting with v4.1) protect multiple mail accounts with different SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 servers.

2.  How is Avast with Unpackers? Seems good to me...

We're constantly working on this. Currently, I'd say avast is high above average in terms of its unpacking engine. And new unpackers are coming in the upcoming updates.

3.  How would you say Avast is with trojans? With Spyware? With other malware? On a scale of one to ten, how far would you say Avast is from KAV?  Sorry to ask you this, but that's been bugging me...

I don't have the balls to answer this question, Pavel is probably the most appropriate person to answer it...

We use mostly generic detection techniques for Trojans. I think that currently, avast covers about 5,000 different Trojans (?? please someone correct me if I'm wrong). The caveat is that we don't identify them exactly by their names - you'll usually get a name like 'Trojan-Gen' (Trojan caught by the the Generic detection engine).

Can you point me out to the differences between the Home and Pro versions..?  

Most wanted Pro features:
- push updates
- enhanced user interface (with task-based scanning, scheduler etc)
- the script blocker

More here: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1018.html

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Straight Shooter

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 08:03:28 AM »
StraightShooter, how is the script blocker in Avast pro? Have you tested it at all? How does it compare with script blocking on other known AV's like Norton?

Thanks!

Douglas
:D

Well, I use two computers, a laptop and a desktop.. I can  say very comfortably I like Avast! a lot better than Norton!  (which I just got rid of)... and it runs very nicely... The support, as evidenced by the speedy replies here on the forum are very important to me, and it shows me the company is very good to deal with...

The script blocker seems okay, but I haven't tested it throughly yet...

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it..

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 10:07:33 AM »
We use mostly generic detection techniques for Trojans. I think that currently, avast covers about 5,000 different Trojans (?? please someone correct me if I'm wrong). The caveat is that we don't identify them exactly by their names - you'll usually get a name like 'Trojan-Gen' (Trojan caught by the the Generic detection engine).

Well, your numbers are underestimated a little bit  ;)

Currently we detect more than 22 000 Windows Trojans, more than 5000 VBS/JS/HTML malware and nearly 400 Linux malware programs in this way  :D

Pavel