Author Topic: Windows Vista may not need antivirus  (Read 5744 times)

drhayden1

Re: Windows Vista may not need antivirus
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 10:00:32 PM »
Ever since Microsoft Vista chief Jim Allchin talked about his son not using anti-virus in a recent teleconference with journalists, the world has been abuzz with claims Vista won’t need AV software. Now Jim Allchin has clarified his statements on the
The speed with which news stories appeared on tech sites around the world claiming that Jim Allchin said words to the effect that his seven year old son didn’t need anti-virus on his computer has shocked the Vista chief.
To counter the endless news stories, his official Vista blog carries a clarifying statement about what he actually said. To paraphrase, he explained that his son was able to use Vista without AV protection because it was locked down with parental controls, meaning no instant messaging, email or other common vectors of attack, and this coupled with Vista improved security model meant that it was possible to run without AV in this kind of heavily locked down situation.
Jim then said that most users will need to run anti-virus software for all the usual reasons.
+++ here’s Jim’s post in full+++

Wow, you describe a specific situation and suddenly people extrapolate something completely different!  During a recent discussion with journalists about the release to manufacturing for Windows Vista, I made a comment about how attacks on the Internet are getting more and more sophisticated, and some of the security features in Windows Vista really help our customers.

This somehow morphed into people thinking I said customers shouldn’t use antivirus software with Windows Vista. When the articles and blogs started appearing, I asked the PR folks to send me a copy of the transcript of the call so I could read it over and see if I said something I didn’t mean.

After reading the transcript, I could certainly see that what I said wasn’t as clear as it could have been, and I’m sorry for that. However, it is also clear from the transcript that I didn’t say that users shouldn’t run antivirus software with Windows Vista!

In fact, later in the call, I explicitly made this point again, because I had realized I wasn’t as clear as I should have been. It’s important for me that our customers are using the appropriate security solutions for the right situations, whether that’s security functionality integrated in the operating systems, or add-on products.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7059/52/

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/10/windows-vista-defense-in-depth.aspx
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:05:26 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
To counter the endless news stories, his official Vista blog carries a clarifying statement about what he actually said.
<snip>
The speed with which news stories appeared on tech sites around the world claiming that Jim Allchin said words to the effect that his seven year old son didn’t need anti-virus on his computer has shocked the Vista chief.

I'm shocked that the Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin who has an official blog doesn't understand how fast the internet media works or that currently the media are hanging on his and anyone from Microsoft's word about Vista.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 11:52:46 PM »
hey davidr...makes you wonder if it was maybe some sort of way to increase the marketing value of vista or something like that :o