Author Topic: "Update error"  (Read 16398 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Update error"
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
Nope, no luck. I'm getting an error "make sure the disk isn't write protected" even after changing the read only properties. Any ideas?

What OS are you using ?
Were you logged in as a user with admin privileges ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

agent_logic

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 04:51:53 AM »
oldman, the file itself is not read-only. I get an error saying "make sure the disk is not write-protected or is currently not in use".

Tech and DavidR, yes, I'm logged in as user with admin privileges on Windows XP Home. I'll try doing this in safe mode, and if it doesn't work, I'll have to re-install avast again, I guess. I'll get back at you guys soon.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 06:50:21 AM »
I was going to suggest safe mode, but you are way ahead of me. ;D

In safe mode not much of anything, including avast should be running.

Did the error really say "make sure the disk is not write-protected or is currently not in use". ? Usually it's "currently in use". If you made a typo, then that may explain why you can't do anything with the file.

Btw, I checked my avast folder, nothing in the path to the file is read only. That is there are no check boxes checked. I renamed the file with no problem.

The only other thing I can think of is not enough administrator rights. There was another post about a similar problem with administrator rights. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 07:35:11 AM »
Try this (Eddy's)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6459.0

He has other posts stating admin rughts are not the same as user with admin rights.

agent_logic

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »
Safe mode didn't work, but I had to take ownership of the folder. But it still wouldn't let me replace it. I made a typo... the error says "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

My avast folder is partially read-only. But the servers.def file itself is not read-only, though I can't open it with notepad to see all the ASCII characters spewed all around. When I try to open it, notepad pops up a dialog box saying "access is denied".

I'm just going to try and re-install avast! instead of troubling you guys, lol. I'll get back at you whether it fixes the problem or not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 09:36:29 PM »
Some time ago there was an issue about permissions (trying to control escalating privileges issue), not being able to access the avast folders, files, but that problem was resolved with program update some time ago.

What is the version of avast home you are using, 4.7.982 is the latest/current version ?

I have no problem opening it with notepad or any other text editor that I have, wordpad, editpad lite, etc. There are also no ASCII characters in it only plain text links to the servers. See image, I have obscured the urls but they are plain text also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

agent_logic

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:40 PM »
Mine is version 4.7.892. I couldn't use any text editor to open the servers.def file

And I tried opening other files too in that folder, without success. Even the summary.txt, setup.txt and setup.ini returned access is denied errors. ROFL!

I'm about to reinstall avast! Hope that fixes the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »
It is certainly the next logical step having tried others, good luck.

Are you installing avast in a different folder to the default ?
That also used to cause issues if there were any non standard characters in the path to the avast4 folder, could this also be correct with your path ?

agent_logic

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 10:07:43 PM »
Yeah, in a different folder to the default, but no non-standard characters. But thats all irrelevant now, 'cause I can't even uninstall now (haha). I get another error (ARGH!) that says "A setiface error has occured:2. Try to reinstall or contact support, please" when I hit uninstall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 10:12:29 PM »
Well it certainly sounds like your set-up is royally screwed, sorry about the technical terms.

Try Windows, Run and type:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setiface.dll",RunSetup
What do you get?

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later. Run that it should be able to clean up after a failed uninstall, reboot and install avast again.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »

I'm just going to try and re-install avast! instead of troubling you guys, lol. I'll get back at you whether it fixes the problem or not.

No trouble, that's what the forum is all about. Finding a solution will help others also. If uninstall/re-install is the only solution, then so be it.

Yeah, in a different folder to the default, but no non-standard characters. But thats all irrelevant now, 'cause I can't even uninstall now (haha). I get another error (ARGH!) that says "A setiface error has occured:2. Try to reinstall or contact support, please" when I hit uninstall.

use this tool

http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

agent_logic

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »
DavidR, ROFL! Yep, my setup is screwed :D. I get the same error that I got when I tried uninstalling.

oldman, yep, uninstall/reinstall is the only option left here I guess. I'll download that utility and get back at you guys.

agent_logic

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 10:57:47 PM »
Ah, finally. It worked! I can rest in peace now, lol.

Thanks for all your help, DavidR and oldman! ;D

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 11:05:48 PM »
No problem, glad you got it sorted out! :D. So now I can file away the solution to this problem as uninstall and re-install.

btw in case no one welcomed you to the forum    welcome to the forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 11:09:51 PM »
Glad that we could help.