Author Topic: Directions for excluding/ignoring item?  (Read 8841 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Directions for excluding/ignoring item?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 11:36:45 AM »
Still finds PSKILL.EXE and when I instruct to send to chest or delete it still says there are no more files.  :(
Igor, what about this problem?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 02:08:09 PM »
Also I'd like to ask: what is this RESTORE.INS file? Where does it come from (i.e. what application does it belong to)? Or is it a folder actually?
(sorry for my ignorance if it's something obvious)
I believe in many cases it is an OEM file used to restore the system to its state after leaving the factory.

There is more discussion on this restore.ins and the pskill.exe tool contained in it in another topic about its detection and what it is rather than how to exclude it http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24818.msg203293#msg203293.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 02:31:40 PM »
I'm afraid that to be able to tell more about the problem with the actions, I would have to see the RESTORE.INS file. Maybe there is a problem with this particular format, but I'm not able to say without checking the file directly.

(On the other hand, if this file is some kind of OEM system-recovery container, it might not be the best idea to modify it, e.g. by removing files from there.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 03:03:26 PM »
That is basically what was said in the other topic so you have to exclude it from the scans. It would also appear that in some cases it is somehow protected so you can't delete it or move it or the contents within, not that you would want to.

Restore.ins is also a very big file, I think over 1GB was mentioned in the other topic, so not something easily sent for analysis, perhaps someone could post it to you like I did for the big memory dump.

The trick is deciding if the pskill.exe is a tool within an OEM system recovery container by its location within restore.ins and the path listed above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security