Author Topic: Help with Eicar Tests  (Read 8470 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help with Eicar Tests
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 12:33:37 AM »
Yes, if you answered YES to the compatibility question that will disable the transparent proxy and you need to manually set up your browser to use the proxy. So the web shield is running but it isn't scanning as the transparent side of it is disabled. See the tutorial links below to manually set your browser/s to use the proxy.

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

- ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer NO) or change the value to =0.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galloway_777

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 12:45:46 AM »
WOW  ;D !!!!!!!! Thanks so much everyone that replied. I did the whole proxy bit on IE and FireFox, and I now have the ability to abort connection again. Also, avast detects the zipped eicars, and my webshield works again. Thanks so much to everyone I feel so much better now  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 02:02:47 AM »
Well it took a little time to pin it down, but glad that the problem is resolved. You might consider putting some system information in your signature (Profile button), OS, RAM, CPU, Antivirus version, firewall, email, main anti-spyware programs, see my signature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galloway_777

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 04:07:04 AM »
Yeah man, like I said - Thanks alot - to everyone who helped out. I feel 1000 times better now. I just don't like it when things don't work, ya know?

Btw I updated my sig like ya told me to.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:09 PM »
Saves us asking questions about your system (and you answering them lots of times ;D) if you have a question, assuming we remember to look.