Author Topic: Email Scanner "IMAP Closing connection due to MaxConnections" on Terminal Server  (Read 8945 times)

Offline mschedler1

I had this fixed before by adding the "MaxConnections" entry to the .ini file... BUT now that these have all been moved to Registry, it is no longer working. The Entries exist in the locations below, but I'm getting this stupid error again. This is on my Terminal Servers where people need to get email... 50 (program default) is NOT high enough. Two registry entries exist and are set as below.

Anyone know anything about this at all... I searched the forum... there's a thread in there that is nearly identical but contains no resolution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner\MaxConnections = 100
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner\MaxConnections = 100

Log shows:
[2021-02-03 15:53:43.429] [info   ] [MailShield ] [ 1900: 5280] IMAP Closing connection due to MaxConnections
[2021-02-03 15:53:43.429] [info   ] [MailShield ] [ 1900: 5280] Processes: thunderbird.exe[50]

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Whilst I don't have any experience using the On-Premise Management Console & Clients (as an avast free user).

That said the error should give an indication on the number of connections and by what process/es, that it exceeds the maximum number of concurrent connections.
A screenshot of that may help determine the function eating all of the connections.

So you would have to increase the MaxConnections to a figure greater than that.
Or you could set it to 0 as zero 0 = no limit.

I don't know if this would work on the On-Premise Management Console & Client, client machine or if this would be to be set on the console or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mschedler1

Thunderbird is the client and yes, due to the fact that I have at least 20 users logged in the program default of 50 is the issue. Adding the "MaxConnections" option (LONG AGO) solved the issue, BUT it came back when the settings from the .INI files were converted to registry entries (Client ver. 20.7 I believe).

The needed entry (see my previous post) was migrated automatically by the upgrade and it is in the registry but obviously not working. Thunderbird by default uses 5 connections per user... as soon as I pass 10 users, the errors start. As I said, I dealt with this issue LONG ago and the .INI entry was working... until the upgrade.

Notice the LOG's second line contains "Processes: thunderbird.exe[50]" which I might indicate that the client default has reverted to 50 as I suspect.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
This is certainly the difference in the On-Premise Management Console & Clients having different settings to that of a stand alone Avast PC installation.  So that too I guess would apply in the registry settings.

I don't know if you have tried a higher MaxConnections figure or setting it to 0 as suggested.  Or if this is a general restriction in the software.

Other than this, information I have gleaned on avast5.ini and limited experience using the registry equivalent in the Windows PC Avast product I have no experience of the On-Premise Management Console & Clients.

Edit: I have tried to draw some attention to this topic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:20:48 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Bump!

Offline mschedler1

Still an issue... don't always get this and I did bump the MaxConnections setting (in Registry) up to 150... but I am getting the error anyway.

This is the error (again):
An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  concurrent connection limit in Avast exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[50]).

I'm going to attempt to get assistance from support but that hasn't gone too well the last few times.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have reported it, but haven't had any 1nput to your topic, hence my Bump to bring the topic up the list of active topics.

Have you use the support ticket system ?
You should get an email response with a support ticket ID number ?

Offline mschedler1

Just finished it... Request# is 12709420 if that helps in any way.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Just finished it... Request# is 12709420 if that helps in any way.

It helps in that, if you don't get any response after a few days we can try to chase up the ID Number.

Offline mschedler1

FWIW... After the usual hoops (gather/send logs and dump files) I received a response from Support:

"There is an issue with the web shield that is causing the settings to not apply correctly we have an open case with dev at this time looking into fixing this issue."

No indication on how long before the fix is pushed out. At least this time I didn't have to struggle to make someone understand the issue (is that cynical? a bit maybe).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline mschedler1

It's been almost a month and I'm still getting complaints of this from my Terminal Server users... Is it possible to find out how long they expect this to take? This is frustrating!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you have an open case, presumably you have an email contact in relation to this open case (ID) ?

Unfortunately as an Avast User there is not much I can do other than try to report it.

Offline mschedler1

Well it looks like Program Version 21.2 is out (it has installed on at least two of my devices), but there's no release notes posted yet. Maybe it's in this new release.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well it looks like Program Version 21.2 is out (it has installed on at least two of my devices), but there's no release notes posted yet. Maybe it's in this new release.

Seek and you will find, though the notes are not detailed.  The latest program release topic is a sticky topic at the top of the list.

Regular Windows consumer version https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=255221.0
However I don't know if all of the stuff would be the same for the business product.

EDIT, I checked the On-Premise Management Console & Clients, listing and can see no Program Update sticky.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:38:50 AM by DavidR »