Author Topic: False positives...  (Read 2127 times)

cpp.programmer

False positives...
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:55:51 PM »
   Avast seems from my experience to be one of the more sensitive free AV's out there. It's known to me for catching things other AV's don't, and on the downside of that having a higher rate of false positives.
   Obviousness aside, one of the programs I was developing was marked as a trojan virus today. The application merely spawned an explorer process, and was marked by Avast as a Win32:Small-CQI [Trj].
   That's all fine, it's just a test program, my only real issue with these happenings is the virus report. I seen no way to fill out a Virus Incident Report on this properly.  On the precedence of openness and accuracy I suggest the Virus Incident Report should allow for reporting false positives.
   The statistics should be interesting, and with some additional information, the reports may help Avast clean up  it's trigger happy reputation.
   All said in done, I'm glad this particular hit happened. I sure wouldn't want an application that merely spawned another to go unwarned.

CharleyO

Re: False positives...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:08:56 PM »

You can report an infection or false positive by taking these steps. First, start avast! and at the user interface, click on ......

Menu > Virus Chest > File > Email to Awil Software

Also, on the webpage at www.avast.com mouse over "Viruses" near the top of the page and choose "Virus Report Form."

Edit corrected a mis-spelled word.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:23:19 AM by CharleyO »