Author Topic: Toubles logging in  (Read 10733 times)

galloway_777

Toubles logging in
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »
Well...I'm having trouble in IE7 now logging onto these forums. I'm set to stay logged in, but when I navigate through this forum, it will say my session timed out. At that time, I just hit the back button and I'm still logged in.  ??? Also can't seem to log into my yahoo mail in IE7. I've been checking it with FireFox.

But I have a problem with Firefox too now....everything takes forever and a day to load. I noticed all this after I followed the steps I was given to make Avast and ZoneAlarm Pro function cooperatively.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Toubles logging in
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:15:55 AM »
Are you closing the last IE window?
This could be deleting the cookie...

Does this problem occur with other browsers?
The best things in life are free.

galloway_777

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:14:05 AM »
No I'm not closing the browser window. All I'm doing, for example, is this: I can be logged in to the forums, and viewing the thread topics page. I then click on the selected thread, and it will say that I'm not logged in. I scroll to the top of the page and it says I'm a guest. So I try to log in, and it says: "You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings." I click the back button (back to the thread topics page) and I scroll up there and I'm logged in again. Maybe with luck I can click on a topic and it will keep me logged in. Just depends.

This only happens in IE7. Also can't log into my yahoo! mail. These things do not occur when I use firefox. I don't mind using firefox, but I prefer IE sometimes depending on what I'm doing online, and it's just aggravating.

I truly hate computers... :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
You aren't the only one to be having cookie trouble in IE7. I've spent a lot of time on a related but different cookie issue. Anyway, this is IE7 not Avast. Select "tools", "privacy", and select "advanced". Tick "override automatic cookie handling" and "always allow session cookies". NB this could affect your privacy setting: don't go to any dodgy sites while it's set like this; it's a troubleshoot step. Try it out on this site, and a few others. If it's ok, you can then go back to the privacy settings and configure it for a slick, comfortable blend of privacy and usability.
My problem was to do with a cleanup program. (CCleaner). You aren't using that, are you?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:16:09 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
No I'm not closing the browser window. All I'm doing, for example, is this: I can be logged in to the forums, and viewing the thread topics page. I then click on the selected thread, and it will say that I'm not logged in. I scroll to the top of the page and it says I'm a guest. So I try to log in, and it says: "You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings." I click the back button (back to the thread topics page) and I scroll up there and I'm logged in again. Maybe with luck I can click on a topic and it will keep me logged in. Just depends.
When I have this problem I discovered that the webpage is set into the blocked sites of IE security options.
Do you use IESpyAd or any other immunization tool that block the access to webpages?
If you add http://forum.avast.com/* into the allowed sites, could you stay logged?

This only happens in IE7. Also can't log into my yahoo! mail. These things do not occur when I use firefox. I don't mind using firefox, but I prefer IE sometimes depending on what I'm doing online, and it's just aggravating.
Exactly, Firefox is not affected by that IE settings.

galloway_777

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:31 PM »
Just tried those settings with the yahoo mail issue. Nothing has changed. It logs me in, then says my session has expired.

The only security programs that I have on my computer are in my sig.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »
Just tried those settings with the yahoo mail issue. Nothing has changed. It logs me in, then says my session has expired.

The only security programs that I have on my computer are in my sig.
SpyBot S&D and SpyWare Blaster have immunization features.
Ad-Aware SE Personal does not seem to be a problem.
Besides this, I'm not used to Spy Defense (Beta) and System Mechanic 6.
But, again, for me, the problem was solved adding the site to IE > Tools > Options > Security > Allowed or Trusted sites.
And, REMOVING it of the blocked (not allowed) sites options.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:07:25 PM »
I am using the current releases of Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Windows Defender (production release - not beta).

In IE7 I have the privacy set to Medium-High.

I am experiencing no problems with login to and staying logged in with this forum, with my Yahoo Homepage or with my Yahoo Mail.  This is true with both IE7 and Firefox 2.0.

This is with WinXP SP2 and Windows XP Firewall.

Perhaps an experiment with Spy Defense out of the picture might be worth a try.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:10:51 PM by alanrf »

galloway_777

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:58 AM »
I've had all those programs for quite some time, and never had a problem. As I've stated before, the problem arose after I went through the procedures to allow Avast's webshield to be compatible with ZoneAlarm Pro (something to do with proxy).

I had the issues with ZAP and Avast's compatibility on my laptop, and my desktop. Followed procedure on both comps, and now on both comps I'm having the log in issues. That leads me to believe it is directly correlated.

Desktop only has Avast, SpyBot, and Ad-aware, and E-Trust Firewall (same as ZAP from what I can tell).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 04:18:13 AM »
I only have ZA free edition along with avast on my other desktop ... so I have no first hand experience of the ZA Pro and avast cohabitation.

Hmmm ... I suppose I can try the ZA Pro free trial period if it still exists and see what happens. 

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 04:49:22 AM »
OK I just downloaded and installed the current version of ZA Pro as a 15 day trial.

On restarting after installing ZA Pro I was alerted by avast of the potential conflict and  selected 'Yes' to avoid avast trying to use the transparent intercept.

I have set up the proxy configuration for avast in both Firefox 2.0 and IE7.

I am experiencing no problems with login to and staying logged in with this forum, with my Yahoo Homepage or with my Yahoo Mail.  This is true with both IE7 and Firefox 2.0.

My default browser is Firefox but I am using IE7 to post this response - as you see it works.

I think I am running out of options to try to recreate the problem you are seeing, but I am fairly sure it is not an interaction between avast and ZoneAlarm.

galloway_777

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 06:56:26 AM »
Well, I do appreciate the help alot. The only two reasons I thought it would be due to the proxy, is because 1) the problems began occuring immediately afterward and
2) it happened on two different computers.

So what do you suggest I do from here? Is there possibly a setting within Avast that I could've changed to create this problem?

Once again, I appreciate everyone who has helped me out.

galloway_777

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 06:59:35 AM »
I just disabled the proxy config in IE7. Yahoo works fine. I guess it's safe to assume this forum works too.

Applied the proxy configuration again with my yahoo mail in the back ground. As soon as I did, I clicked my inbox, and it gave me the session timed out message. I guess that is now obvious that that is the problem. I guess the question is can anybody pin down the solution, if there is one other than undoing the proxy config.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:03:11 AM by galloway_777 »

Spiritsongs

"Spy Defense"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 07:56:57 AM »
 :)  Hi Galloway :

On Oct 5 of this year, "Spy Defense" was added to antiSPYWARE Expert's Eric Howes
    "Rogue/Suspect Antispyware Products"; it is advisable NOT to have such products on one's
     computer. You can view the info at :

www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm .

Possibly this product MAY be causing some problems !?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:19 AM »
Well ...seems Spiritsongs agrees with my earlier suggestion.  Right now I think it may well be worth a try to see it provides you any relief.