Author Topic: Toubles logging in  (Read 10734 times)

galloway_777

Re: Toubles logging in
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »
well like I said, I've been using spydefense and it hasn't been a problem. I surely give it a shot and uninstall it though.

galloway_777

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:50 PM »
The program that they're talking about in that link is not the program I have. They're talking about "SpyDefence" and I have "SpyDefense" (with an S, not a C) from Everest Labs. Makes not diference the program hasn't updated in weeks anyway so I uninstalled it anyhow. Their website also doesn't seem like it's been active since January.

But anyway, I uninstalled SpyDefense, and I still can't login to Yahoo!  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
Can you answer me about the 'allowed' and 'blocked' sites on IE security settings?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

galloway_777

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 08:58:20 PM »
Can you answer me about the 'allowed' and 'blocked' sites on IE security settings?  ::)

My apologies tech. I wasn't aware you were asking a question. Nonetheless, I added this site, and yahoo mail to my "trusted" zone, and they still won't function properly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »
I added this site, and yahoo mail to my "trusted" zone, and they still won't function properly.
The problem could be, like in my case with www.webshots.com, on the 'blocked' sites.
Even adding it to the allowed ones, the blocked one wins...
It's not easy to search in that blocked list  :P

galloway_777

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »
It's not on the blocked sites list. Just checked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 11:28:42 PM »
It's not on the blocked sites list. Just checked.
Well... I'm empty... beyond of my little knowledge  :-[ :-[

galloway_777

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »
Well thanks for the help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 12:17:08 AM »
Well I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth and blame ZA privacy settings ;D

Problems logging in were a problem with web shield, ZA Pro and Privacy settings set to High. This was commonly logging into say hotmail, yahoo, etc. were you start on an http page enter your log on details it is validated and directed to an https page and sometimes back. Somewhere in this flip flop (http {web shield} https {no web shield} http {back through web shield}) the privacy function blocked the transfer of the logon details, why I haven't a clue, but that was more or less what happened.

avast tried to overcome this by using the disabling of the Transparent proxy and this seems to work fine.

Now somehow I think this is happening again with galloway_777, why is the issue, transparent proxy still working or something else, is difficult to tell. You could also try lowering the ZA Privacy function or temp disabling it and see if that works and allows logon. If not you need to check the web shield transparent proxy has been disabled and your browser proxy connection settings have been correctly entered. I know you have been through this before, but short of that I would suggest you uninstall avast, boot, install and ensure you start off answering YES when the compatibility question arises.

Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).

If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer YES) or change the value to =1.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galloway_777

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 05:55:36 AM »
Well I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth and blame ZA privacy settings ;D

Problems logging in were a problem with web shield, ZA Pro and Privacy settings set to High. This was commonly logging into say hotmail, yahoo, etc. were you start on an http page enter your log on details it is validated and directed to an https page and sometimes back. Somewhere in this flip flop (http {web shield} https {no web shield} http {back through web shield}) the privacy function blocked the transfer of the logon details, why I haven't a clue, but that was more or less what happened.

avast tried to overcome this by using the disabling of the Transparent proxy and this seems to work fine.

Now somehow I think this is happening again with galloway_777, why is the issue, transparent proxy still working or something else, is difficult to tell. You could also try lowering the ZA Privacy function or temp disabling it and see if that works and allows logon. If not you need to check the web shield transparent proxy has been disabled and your browser proxy connection settings have been correctly entered. I know you have been through this before, but short of that I would suggest you uninstall avast, boot, install and ensure you start off answering YES when the compatibility question arises.

Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).

If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer YES) or change the value to =1.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Thanks a million for the wealth of information. Unfortunately, due to my sobriety (or lack thereof) at this paricular moment all I could decipher from all that was to de-activate ZAP, and give it a try.

Which I did!

Hmmm...yahoo mail works like a charm with ZAP turned off. Why didn't I think to turn it off before?!?!  ???

Here's the bad thing though: I closed IE7, re-enabled ZAP, and went back to Yahoo! mail through IE7, and it still "works like a charm."

If I've ever been confused at any point in my life, I think this is it. I guess tomorrow I'll try to sign in again (with ZoneAlarm on) and see if it works. If it doesn't then obviously it has to do with ZoneAlarm. Then I'll just have to try and figure out WHY it still works after I de-active, the re-active the program.

::) What a beautiful mess. It's well worth it for Avast! though. If I have to I'll just get a different firewall.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 06:32:29 AM »
If it helps at all ...

I followed the rules that David spoke of a couple of days ago.  When I followed all the instructions to the letter (and yes I am familiar with both products) then, as I reported, there was no problem with avast and ZA Pro together - as is true, I believe, for many other users of this combination. 

I hope that you do not feel you need to make a choice between avast and firewall ... but I admit if I had to then avast would probably win ... but then it is a biased opinion. 

neal62

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 06:35:52 AM »
Why not try and lower the ZA security setting just one notch. If there is a High setting and also a Medium etc, try lowering the setting to medium and see if you can sign in to yahoo. Just a thought.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »
Thanks a million for the wealth of information. Unfortunately, due to my sobriety (or lack thereof) at this paricular moment all I could decipher from all that was to de-activate ZAP, and give it a try.

Which I did!

Hmmm...yahoo mail works like a charm with ZAP turned off. Why didn't I think to turn it off before?!?!  ???
That was not my intention or suggestion for you to completely disable ZAP, in it you have a Privacy Setting, which can be lowered this may allow access to Yahoo.

If lowering it doesn't work disable the Privacy function but KEEP ZAP ENABLED.

I haven't used ZA for many years and never the pro version, so you will have to excuse me if I'm not using the correct names for things in ZAP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galloway_777

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »
Well there's nothing that can really be done for the time being. Everything is working now. Ever since I de-activated then re-activated ZoneAlarm, everything is running fine. Hopefully it will stay that way. But in the meantime I'm gonna sit around and wait for it to mess up so I can try lowering the privacy tab.